Performers metal table rusty

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
Have any of you experienced rust on your performers metal table? I had 2 of the platinum one touch with the plastic table, in fact, still have one. They would crack and stain so this seemed like an improvement but the rust has now gotten pretty bad and will begin to get much worse from this point. Hate to file a warranty claim but it’s 2-3 years old and in 2-3 more, it will be a huge mess. I live in Florida so it is wet and humid but I do keep it covered w a Weber brand cover.

Just wondering if others have seen a trend like this w the metal tables.

Down here in the San Jose, Costa Rica Area I keep my Weber Performer Deluxe(bought new around 3 weeks ago),WSM 18" "Classic",Weber Smoky Joe(WSJ) and Weber 22" Mastertouch Grill(WMT) stored in a Covered Patio Area without any covers. The major problem down here is with the humidity producing Mold, however, I have not had a rust problem(except for the Charcoal Grates) with the WSM,WSJ,WMT Grills and Smoker that are four(4) years or older. Also, I leave the door off the WSM during our rainy season May-Oct and Air-out this BBQ equipment under the hot sun once-a-week which has controlled my past mold problem.

I have not had rust issues myself, but replacing the screws with stainless steel hardware is a good way to help prevent rust from accumulating because the included hardware seems be to be the first thing to rust. You can try your hand with Weber with a warranty claim and you might get lucky.

If not, then you might look into having it sand blasted and powder coated or something. I would still make the stainless steel hardware switch though.

I have a relatively new green Performer and even though it is covered, the coating/paint on my table has bubbled up and rusted. I have also noticed that some of the silver paint on the frame has also bubbled up and rusted. I took a wire brush to it and scrubbed it and much of the paint on the tabletop came off. I was going to just wire brush it, prime it and paint it with some Rustoleum black hammered spraypaint (the actual color seems to be blueish, but the option is between black and grey I believe) but now I am going to have all of the paint sandblasted off so I have a clean base. I am then going to either paint it or get a quote to powdercoat it for durability. For the frame I am just going to wire brush it until the paint stops flaking off, and then prime/paint it with some Rustoleum silver paint.

Love the grill, but am really shocked that this is happening so soon. My 17 year old Summit Silver is slowly rusting away, but the frame hasn’t been covered the last few years. I am thinking of just building a frame for it from cinder blocks and then removing it from the frame and placing it between the cinder block frame.

Tom, I would suggest neutralizing the rust prior to prime and paint. The wire brush isn't going to cut it and you'll see new rust popping up in the same place. Home depot and get some evapo-rust or some of the spray on type and go from there.

Weber really missed the mark on the newer metal tables. Rust seems to be very common with the newest series, and I personally prefer the thermoplastic (I have two and had zero issues). Hopefully they go with a more durable finish or different material altogether. Unacceptable for a grill that starts at $400.

Glad I have the plastic table but nothing is made as good as it use to be imo, hope you get it under control so it will last a lot of years

Sorry to hear but interesting to read. I was always wondering how rust resistant these new metal tables would be. I really like the the Thermaplastic tables. Although they tend to scratch easy and don't look that nice they are pretty weather resistant. And as long as you don't put too much weight on it they will hold up. I wish they would kept the original SS design with the higher table height of the current Performer.

Back