Performer modifications...

Hi compared to the WSM mods, has anyone done a few modifications on their performer ?

This is mine :)

1031f10d58b973dfd0ff61418f71a183_zpsa3719f16.jpg

IMHO the performer has everything - I added some expanded metal to charcoal grate to stop the small pieces from falling through- thats it.

What do you use the dog bowl for? (just kidding). Nice looking grill. i been using my Performer stock for six or seven years now. Not sure I'd change a thing. :)

I have the older Performer and the only thing I have thought about doing is adding an aluminum tray in the bottom to catch ash.

Thanks. The hooks in front i just had them and improvised by attaching them to my performer :)

The grey propane canisters you ment ? You can buy them overhere but they're pretty expensive though.

How are your Webers different compared to the one's sold in Europe ?

(Ps sorry of my english sucks, we speak another language overhere haha!)

I have a CastIronGrate for my Performer. But ive seen that some of you American Q'ers have custom made (stainless) steel grates like this one:
http://www.examiner.com/article/10-best-christmas-gifts-for-grillers-custom-designed-bbq-grill

Do you like these grillgrates ? Or is cast iron better ?

I find cast iron okay with the grillmarks and stuff but wat i don't like is seasoning these cast iron grates.... Somehow the grate keeps getting rusty :-( i season with Crisco or peanutoil.

I use Char-Broil cast iron grates on mine. They are less expensive and lighter weight than the Craycort grates. I do a lot of things on my Performer that make using the original Weber hinged grates more practical so I like to be able to switch between the CI and the regular grates. I also have a Lodge grilling grate that I use from time to time on top of the regular grate. I don't use it as much as I used to since I purchased the one from Char-Broil. I really like using cast iron for direct high heat grilling for steaks in particular.

The only other things I have done to my Performer is add a second charcoal grate that I orient the other direction to help keep smaller pieces of lump charcoal from falling through. I also replaced the Weber OEM thermometer with a Tel-Tru.

Last edited:
I have made a few mods to my performer. BTW I really like the looks od Don's hooks. They match the looks of the grill.

Paper Towel Holder (Wind Proof)
Made from a steel rod and a piece of pipe. The Wind Proof bar was from a broken clock. Without it the wind will just un-wind the roll of towels.
IMG_3342.jpg

IMG_3344.jpg

IMG_3346.jpg

IMG_3347.jpg

IMG_3413.jpg

IMG_3414.jpg

Small Hooks - I didn't like having to tie a string onto the BBQ tools to just hang them on the hefty weber hooks.
IMG_3406.jpg

IMG_3412.jpg

Thermometer Grommet
IMG_3463.jpg

IMG_3460.jpg

I also added a small hook to hang the grate on the back side. I didn't care for the factory "slot" where you put the grate handle in to hang it on the back side.

The "Best Mod" you can have is to "Keep It Clean"!

Thanks. The hooks in front i just had them and improvised by attaching them to my performer :)

The grey propane canisters you ment ? You can buy them overhere but they're pretty expensive though.

How are your Webers different compared to the one's sold in Europe ?

(Ps sorry of my english sucks, we speak another language overhere haha!)

European grills are 57cm across. Ours are 22.5 inches.

Back