Performer Lid

Alan F

TVWBB Pro
I'm looking at a Performer today, and cannot understand why Weber designed the lid holder that way, and why anyone wants to grill with 1/3 of the grate hard to access? Why not have the hook inside like one touch?

Am I missing something? I will never buy this thing.

I absolutely love my Performer, but I do agree that the lid holder could use a little improvement. I have read comments from others saying the same thing. That said, it is much better than the lid holders that you had to hang on the lip of the OTG or OTS. I really think Weber would be smart to just add a hook like they had on the older kettles or the new model OTG on the inside of the current lid allowing you to either place it in the current holder or hang it from on the current holder when you really want to access the entire grill surface. To me that is a no-brainer.

Last edited:
I absolutely love my Performer, but I do agree that the lid holder could use a little improvement. I have read comments from others saying the same thing. That said, it is much better than the lid holders that you had to hang on the lip of the OTG or OTS. I really think Weber would be smart to just add a hook like they had on the older kettles or the new model OTG on the inside of the current lid allowing you to either place it in the current holder or hang it from on the current holder when you really want to access the entire grill surface. To me that is a no-brainer.

Sounds like some potential mods for the Performer. As one in the market for a used one, I appreciate the thoughts.

Rich

I'm looking at a Performer today, and cannot understand why Weber designed the lid holder that way, and why anyone wants to grill with 1/3 of the grate hard to access? Why not have the hook inside like one touch?

Am I missing something? I will never buy this thing.

I have grown used to the Performer's lid. It can be an advantage for indirect cooking. It's design allows you to just tilt the lid a little to temp, check, or turn a piece of meat/food product which keeps the grill area warm versus removing the lid entirely and thus cooling off the grill area.

The Performer is my favorite grill out of the eight Weber's I own, and I have never had a problem with the lid. Moreover, I wish my 22.5 OTG had a lid like it.

I only wish my Performer was left-handed, but I'm pretty ambidextrous. Works for me though, and I've never dropped the lid like I have with my kettles.

I love my performer but I have to agree, the lids bugs me. After I looked at it closely I think the problem is that the wire bale (or whatever it's called) is too short. It stops the lid from going all the way down before it reaches the bottom of the metal strap part that attaches to the grill bottom. I end up taking lid off a lot when I'm cooking a large meal direct. I'm afraid I'm going to end up dinging my Crate and Barrel finish. :( Still the greatest grill ever, don't get me wrong. I'm just taking part in the natural bent of all humans, to gripe about little stuff.

I love my Performer but never liked the holder much. I usually place the lid on the ground when setting up the grill or loading up whatever I'm cooking. I only use the holder when I'm doing a quick reach in to flip or move food around. Otherwise, the lid gets set on the ground (just like with the wsm or sjs)

I never noticed a problem with it and think it works pretty much perfectly for my needs. I don't like putting a hot/greasy lid on the deck or the table. I wish the WSM had something similar.

I never noticed a problem with it and think it works pretty much perfectly for my needs. I don't like putting a hot/greasy lid on the deck or the table. I wish the WSM had something similar.

John, Cut or get yourself a couple of wood sticks about 1" longer than your lid is wide. Set them in parallel on whatever surface you use and set the lid on that. No marks or grease.

You can use scraps or trim from any wood supplier. Four short pieces set at the right points will work also and will work with various sized lids. (Or cut the sticks longer the the biggest lid.)

Rich

The lid holder, to me, is one of the best features.
I only totally remove the lid to get better lighting for food photos:)

Last edited:
I agree here too that I like this feature on the performer. I find that is is faster the get the lid out of the way and tend to the food. With the OTS and my older 26" I have to search for the hook somewhat to set it on the side of the bowl.......but my face does get warm in the winter months when bending down to use that hook;)

I love my performer lid and all.I gave away or sold all my grills/smokers except for my performer a mini wsm and a q100 grill.I have used the performer about 98% of the time.It is the best smoker/grill on the market.

My SS Performer is the perfect charcoal grill compared to a OTS or any other Charcoal grill. Simply move your head to the right a bit while you grab your beer from the table and you can see the food next to the lid.

"It's always something", Roseanne Rosanadana.

Back