Performer & Craycort Cast Iron Grate Problem?

Scott Hammock

TVWBB Member
I've been looking to get a Craycort and have been seeing there is a problem with the Performer. Something to do with using a chimney. I can't seem to find a detailed description of the problem. Just there is a problem. Can someone please explain?
Thanks!

To me this "issue" shouldn't be a decision/deal-breaker as the Performer comes with gas assist anyway. I wouldn't shy away from the Craycort because of the hassle of using a chimney (which doesn't fit neatly anyway in a Perfomer), I would use a starter cube and set the chimney on top of the CI, if I weren't using gas assist.

For what it's worth, with the Stok brand cast iron grates, you can light the chimney with the gas with the outer grate in place and you just have to remove the insert. The placement is not ideal but it works. I remove both pieces when lighting the chimney, the only hard part is slipping the outer ring back in past the screw heads that the Performers have while avoiding the heat of the charcoal that you just lit and placed on the charcoal grate.

I don't have Craycort, but I do have a gas assist Performer. IMO either way you will need to lift the grates off to get the charcoal in. My process is to start the charcoal with the gas assist, once I turn the gas off I move the charcoal baskets where I want them and put the grate back on. Done.

So, is the Craycort awkward to remove and replace? Is that the main complaint about it when using the chimney?

Unless you have some kind of special lifter, I'd say yes.

Here's a pic of the Craycort.

DSC_0226.jpg

I haven't used one but it looks like you'd have to lift each quarter section off individually, then lift out the ring as the chimney wouldn't fit past the cross members.

Last edited:

Back