Perfect autumn spun chicken with a bonus!

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Yes, I’m NOT a time change fan!
Here is the clementine garlic spun evening chicken….
FD6CCB50-FA54-4056-9920-3F6130876924.jpeg“Turned out” very well! The cook was a touch convoluted as I’d failed to double check lower vents after sweeping! Dumb bunny!
I had seen a baked risotto recipe from Ina Garten earlier in the week and as the Mrs. Had mentioned that she would love some, I tried it! Whoosh! That was amazing, (I cut salt by maybe half) look that one up folks! But, I needed to have a chat with brother in law so, things didn’t plate up at the same time. The risotto was wonderful! the chicken has delayed due to my rushing to get thing started but, final product was as good as anything I’ve done. I’ll use the leftover bird in a “melange“ casserole for dinner tomorrow.
Now, I feel the arms of Morpheus reaching out for me!
I really dislike the time change!

View attachment 62257“Turned out” very well! The cook was a touch convoluted as I’d failed to double check lower vents after sweeping! Dumb bunny!
I had seen a baked risotto recipe from Ina Garten earlier in the week and as the Mrs. Had mentioned that she would love some, I tried it! Whoosh! That was amazing, (I cut salt by maybe half) look that one up folks! But, I needed to have a chat with brother in law so, things didn’t plate up at the same time. The risotto was wonderful! the chicken has delayed due to my rushing to get thing started but, final product was as good as anything I’ve done. I’ll use the leftover bird in a “melange“ casserole for dinner tomorrow.
Ill have a drumstick. Looks Great!

Looks great. In regards to not plating things at the same time, me and DW have grown accustomed to eating things when they’re ready. The other night, the steaks were done and the vegetables in the InstaPot were not. Well, I’m not gonna let a good steak go cold while some pressured cooked vegetables finish. So, the steaks were eaten and the veggies followed. No big deal. Frankly, I’m amazed at how DW’s mom used to get everything on the table at one time. A bit of an art, for sure.

View attachment 62257“Turned out” very well! The cook was a touch convoluted as I’d failed to double check lower vents after sweeping! Dumb bunny!
Great looking bird Timothy!

It was pretty darned good! Again, back to the basic style of trussing and remembering that it really is worth the little bit of effort.
I have to say the risotto was flat out incredible and pretty easy.

Bird looks great Tim, This the third or fourth bird I've seen this week spun on a kettle. Think I'll tell Santa I want a roti setup for my performer this Christmas.;) Here in Arizona we don't do time changes which I really like.

Nice bird there. We had chicken as well. Though in pieces on the pellet grill. Busy doing cleanup from the wind storm and a small bathroom repair so very simple dinner. Chicken, a salad and home made drop biscuits. Had our elderly neighbor over. Wife made him too big of a martini (he likes a Sunday martini) but she does not yet know how to gauge a cocktail :D So let's say he was pretty "talkative" LOL.

Here you go!
Looks pretty good, I’ll get some asparagus!

Ina Garten’s One-Pot Oven Risotto​

(This recipe is reproduced from Garten’s book “Go-To Dinners” [Clarkson Potter, 2022].)
  • Good olive oil
  • 1¼ cups thinly sliced shallots (2 large)
  • 1 pound fresh asparagus, tough ends removed, cut diagonally in 1-inch lengths (see note below)
  • 1½ cups Arborio rice (10 ounces)
  • 5 to 6 cups simmering chicken stock, preferably homemade
  • ½ teaspoon saffron threads
  • ½ cup dry white wine
  • 1 cup freshly grated Italian Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Serves 4
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium (11-inch) Dutch oven such as Le Creuset, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook for 2 minutes. Add the asparagus and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
3. In the same Dutch oven, heat one additional tablespoon olive oil. Add the rice and stir to coat the rice with oil. Add 4 cups of the chicken stock and the saffron, bring to a simmer and cover. Transfer to the oven and bake for 35 minutes, until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
4. Remove from the oven and add the white wine, stirring well until incorporated, then add one more cup of chicken stock, the Parmesan, butter, 2½ teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon for 2 to 3 minutes, until the risotto is thick and creamy, adding more chicken stock, if necessary, to keep the risotto very creamy. Stir in the asparagus-and-shallot mixture and serve hot sprinkled with extra grated Parmesan.

I reduced the salt by probably half and it was still a bit more than I like or should have, five cups of stock is about right, I had six ready and used it all but, it was a hair thinner than I usually enjoy. Flavor profile was outstanding!
And, I managed to forget the final addition of butter but, I didn’t miss it.

Back