Percentage of Sodium Nitrite

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
I'm no expert of this, but I have used a few kilos of the stuff over the years.
I'd say that this difference is insifigificant. The final result will be the same, but as I've stated I have never tried.

Before I got my very accurate digital scale, I sorta winged the amount, not knowing how unaccurate my normal digital scale was. I've never had any problems.

Completely agree with Geir. There are so many other factors that come in to determining the final amounts in the end product that that little deviation initially is insignificant. JIMO.

That's kind of what I figured but they really put the scare into you about using any form of nitrite in home sausage making so I thought I'd ask.

Ontario is a nanny state I should add is why I mention "scare". It's extremely difficult if not impossible to buy #1 here.

I was aware of Malabar. My initial search wanted something closer (which I have found--non-commercial).

Thanks.

Another source in Canada is Stuffer's Supply

I doubt that the difference of any consequence... Prague Powder #1, Insta Cure #1, DQ Curing Salt #1 etc.. are all supposed to be the same with 6.25% Sodium Nitrite and 93.75% Salt as per FDA and USDA regulations. (Yeah I guess we follow suit here in Canada
icon_rolleyes.gif
)

Back