Pepper Stout Beef

In general terms, how much time does it take from beginning to end on this recipe. I know once you get the meat to 165, you need 3.5 to 4 hours beyond that, but generally speaking, how long does it take to get the meat to 165? I plan to use 2 pack of beef chuck from Costco and I think the weigh around 4 lbs per piece. I plan to cook at 250 degrees.

I've never made it, but I do something similar. Reading the recipe about 5 posts down Larry says about 2.5 hrs to get to 165.
Mine usually take 1.5 to 2 hrs per lb @ 250-265.
HTH
Tim

Hey Pat,

I've made this recipe many times, and I would give yourself at least 6 hours start to finish. I usually do my chucks much hotter, 325, since the main goal (for me at least) of the chuck in the smoke is to give it that wonderful WSM flavor, but I let it do more of the tenderizing in the veg/stout.

you can cook it in the WSM low then finish it in the oven high.
you just want the beef to shred easily...
I've made it in 5.5 hours and i've made it in 4 hours.
I like 5.5 best.

butt then, i'll eet a beer can.

I cook it indirect on a kettle for aprox. 2 hrs. to 155', and put in the oven with Bermuda onions for about 2 1/2 hrs. until it hits 200'. It's really good sliced thin.

1.5 to 2 hrs at 325 in the wsm to give it the smoke flavour. It's not necessary to do low and slow since your not rendering the fat out of them, that happens when you put it in the pan and cover. You really don't even need to get it to 165 before foiling, if you think you have enough smoke on it foil it, but you don't want to go past 165 or you start to lose too much juice. JMO

i've done this one a few times myself - it's tasty. always seems to take me about 6 hours from start to finish. the good thing is that it can easily sit around if finished early.

Back