Pepper Shooter Recipe

Gerry D.

TVWBB Pro
Does anyone have a recipe for making homemade pepper shooters (cherry peppers stuffed with provolone and proscuitto)? I have read many recipes all with different procedures. Do I blanch the peppers first? Pickle the peppers first? Should I add some garlic and herbs to the olive oil to add more flavor?

I've made this several times and everybody loves them

Sausage-Stuffed Cherry Pepper Poppers
Ingredients:
8 oz Italian sausage
2 jars Peppadew peppers (about 32)
1 tsp olive oil
chopped parsley

Here's a video showing how it's made.
stuffed peppers

Originally posted by Gerry D.:
Does anyone have a recipe for making homemade pepper shooters (cherry peppers stuffed with provolone and proscuitto)? I have read many recipes all with different procedures. Do I blanch the peppers first? Pickle the peppers first? Should I add some garlic and herbs to the olive oil to add more flavor?
Blanching the peppers makes them a little more tender - and safer, food safety-wise. On that note, garlic and herbs can be added to the oil but should be cooked (oil at 180? for several minutes then cooled).

I prefer to pickle the peppers (or buy them pickled - like the little Pepperdews Vincenzo mentions), stuff then serve. No oil. I use a mix of goat cheese with a little cream or farm cheese, prosciutto and sometimes minced spinach or kale.

Blanching the peppers makes them a little more tender - and safer, food safety-wise. On that note, garlic and herbs can be added to the oil but should be cooked (oil at 180? for several minutes then cooled).

I prefer to pickle the peppers (or buy them pickled - like the little Pepperdews Vincenzo mentions), stuff then serve. No oil. I use a mix of goat cheese with a little cream or farm cheese, prosciutto and sometimes minced spinach or kale.

How long will the peppers keep in the refrigerator after being pickled and stuffed? Usually I see them at local delis pakced in olive oil. Thanks.

One of my problems with the oil is that, well, you sort of get a mouthful of oil. Like buying already stuffed grape leaves packed in oil.

If using pickled peppers that you then stuff - but don't pack in anything - they will last several days at least (the acidity of the vinegar is a good bacteria deterrent). I tend to fill them the day I want to eat them for the freshest taste, but have done them a day or two before, for parties and such, without issue.

One of my problems with the oil is that, well, you sort of get a mouthful of oil. Like buying already stuffed grape leaves packed in oil.

If using pickled peppers that you then stuff - but don't pack in anything - they will last several days at least (the acidity of the vinegar is a good bacteria deterrent). I tend to fill them the day I want to eat them for the freshest taste, but have done them a day or two before, for parties and such, without issue.

I hear you on the mouth full of oil. I was looking to make them 2 days in advance so thanks for the help. Any other stuffing combinations that you would recommend? I have only seen sharp provolone and prosciutto.

Cooked and crumbled sausage of your choice; smoked sausage, minced; grilled filet, finely chopped; sautéed or grilled mushrooms, finely chopped; cooked and crumbled ground turkey, chicken or beef; duck confit, minced.

For cheese, I prefer either stronger, sharper cheeses alone, or those mixed with a milder soft cheese. One can take a hard, sharper cheese (e.g., Parmigiano, extra-sharp cheddar, aged goat, among others) and grate it finely, mixing it with another cheese (milder or not), or mixing it with a soft spreadable cheese like soft goat, cream or mascarpone.

Herbs are a nice inclusion and other things work well too. Try minced toasted almonds with, say, crumbled cooked sausage mixed with grated Manchego and mascarpone, with a little fresh thyme. For a twist, to that add some minced reconstituted dry cherries.

Lots of possibilities.

Back