People who don't like smoke flavor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Fraley

TVWBB Super Fan
I was doing a search for something and came across a thread about someones wife not liking smoked foods. In that thread others mentioned that they had wifes that disliked the taste as well.

Well I guess what I'm getting at is my wife is that way. I've done 2 pork shoulders, chuck, ribs and she never seems to care much for it. I think it's great as my daughter does too. I don't oversmoke cause I believe I use less then most. And I use apple wood mostly so it's nothing to potent.
The only thing she likes is my turkey's. which I always brine in apple cider (or juice), brown sugar, kochser salt, & maple syrup. Then smoke with apple wood. Not low and slow but probobly around 350f or so (never really measured temp with poultry). But I can get 2 5lb turkey breasts done in 3 hours. So I'm thinking cooking that short does not allow much smoke flavor in the meat. And I believe the brine enhances the flavor so much that the smoke flavor is almost secondary.

I'm wondering if anyone else still has this problem. I'm thinking of starting to cook on the WSM with little to no wood for now on to see if she enjoys that better.
What do you think?

My father doesn't like the smoke flavor either. Especially when throwing a couple if hickory chunks on for steaks. He's just particular though /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

My parents are this way. I do chicken for them on the WSM, just with no smoke wood. They like it a lot.

Regards,
Chris

I too have some family members that aren't real crazy about smoke flavor (glad i didn't inherit that!) so i have done as Chris said and not use any wood just the coal, it turns out great. For what ever reason though they all enjoy my briskets which i usually smoke heavily. Maybe its all in their heads. good luck

I find chicken really soaks up the smoke-- more so than other meats given the same amount of chunks-- and prefer to go light on the wood.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
[qb] I find chicken really soaks up the smoke-- more so than other meats given the same amount of chunks-- and prefer to go light on the wood. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's funny. That's the only thing she really likes is the poultry when I smoke it. Although I do go light on the wood.

same response from my wife.."too smokey tasting"..i said you know it's a smoker right? heh

anyway had been using hickory chunks from home depot and varying the amounts (1 chunk on 1 cook). just ordered some cherry and apple wood of the net and did babybacks sat. night using the cherry.

got a much better response from the wife from the milder wood. hope this helps/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

We have a friend who has been eating my Q since day one. She prefers it now, says it is less smokey. I used to do a mean imitation of a steam train, now I don't /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
~Konrad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back