People who are too picky

JLHillman

TVWBB Fan
Every damn time I find an interesting recipe, there is always one of my family who won't eat an ingredient. Mom, mushrooms and fish, etc. Dad wo't eat soup. Cooking around them has become has become a hassle. It limits the ingredients, choices of entrees. I gave up, they can eat hamburgers and hotdogs till the end of time. I hate to do it, there are so many interesting flavors and ingredients out there. I am forced to taste bland food and tell them how good it is. Every meat mom cooks is at 350* for an hour, meaning tough as crap. For a long time mom would buy a pork loin, cit it into chops. Do you have any idea what pork loin is like at 350* for an hour? I have tires that will last will not last as long. Can you tell that outside of egg nog and Tiramisu I don't bother? I used to do Italian every Christman Eve, then I began to get objections. Every Christmas morning I would cook a breakfast pie but could not include the mushrooms or freshly ground pepper. Am I alone in this world, please tell me no.

I hear you. Pammi is kinda picky,but she's getting better! When we met,she wouldn't eat lobster,shrimp,fish that wasn't fried or steak below shoe leather! Now, she loves lobster,shrimp,scallops, fish prepared most ways and she'll eat her steak medium! Still won't do mollusks other than scallops,but I'm working on that!

could not include the mushrooms or freshly ground pepper.

Someone won't eat pepper? I have some picky eaters in my family but damn.... My mother can be a pain when it comes to food. There are times she claims she does not eat meat... then later that day she will eat a chicken Cesar salad. I try not to let it effect my choice of what I want to serve and just try to have multiple options.

My side of the family supposedly doesn't like smoked foods (that is just not natural and unheard of). Two of my kids wont eat onion and my son wont eat it even with onion powder in it. Now me and the wife are open to anything just about and so is here side of the family.

My parents have both long passed. They were set in their ways, but accomodated our different tastes. Enjoy them while you can.

My wife and I are both adventurous cooks and eaters. Probably 1/3 - 1/2 of all the recipes we cook in a week are first timers.

Only 1 of my 4 kids is not a picky eater. We can't wait until the last one (now 20) is gone, so we can cook whatever we want whenever we want :)

J, have you tried white pepper? Pammi isn't crazy about black pepper, so I've been known to sub white pepper. Sometimes!

I feel fortunate that my wife and I have mostly similar taste. We both like a lot of heat. We both like most of the same vegetables. We both like almost every conceivable protein source. Where we differ is that she doesn't like sausage, she likes her meat on the well side of medium, and she doesn't like dark meat chicken or turkey. Those are restrictions I can live with if I can try pretty much any recipe I can find for any type of cuisine.

sneak some chicken thighs in there - they hardly seem like dark

We've been married closing in on 25 years...you think I haven't tried that by now? ;) Actually, she'll eat dark meat in casseroles, where it's picked, but even there she whines a tiny little bit.

They all have their dislikes, it's cooking around them that's the pain. I test a recipe and like it but my mistake is revealing the ingredients. Dad doesn't like soup unless it's cold out. I talk too much about the recipe. When I do cook something I like I talk about it.. Chickens, cattle and pigs are safe subjects, potato's and rice (Minute Rice mind you) are safe too. Unfamiliar ingredients or techniques are verboten. Grilled green onions are strange, really?

They all have their dislikes, it's cooking around them that's the pain. I test a recipe and like it but my mistake is revealing the ingredients. Dad doesn't like soup unless it's cold out. I talk too much about the recipe. When I do cook something I like I talk about it.. Chickens, cattle and pigs are safe subjects, potato's and rice (Minute Rice mind you) are safe too. Unfamiliar ingredients or techniques are verboten. Grilled green onions are strange, really?

I like to simplify sometimes, but I usually go a little overboard.

JRP, I do and will. DB, tastes change, it takes time. I was in my thirties before I learned to love anything but American Cheese. Now I savor all the stinky nasty cheese that anyone makes. In fact I look for it. My parents were horrified, apparently they never made the conversion. I guess I am an aberration at 52 and a half. Do you remember when the half counted? When you are young the meaning escapes you, when you are older it haunts you.

My two oldest are super picky eaters and the youngest will eat anything. My first wife only ate pizza and pasta mostly. Barb and I will just about try anything. I feel sorry for my grand kids as they live off of hot dogs and boxed mac and cheese and cheese pizza. I bounced my head of the walls for years trying to get the kids to try different things, but gave up a long time ago.

I mean come on, mushrooms are just flavor sponges. Mom gets sick just thinking about them. God has a funny sense of humor, giving a former grunt a sense of taste and the ability to cook but no audience. When my nephew was in Boy Scouts I made cinnamon rolls from a tube over a camp fire. I was a hit with the Moms, all the cold and wet or just wet nights germinated the seed. I would kill to taste the corn mold that is prized in Mexico, I might not like it or I might like it or love it but I want a chance to try it. I brought a pound of shrimp home from the bay and Mom boiled them, I hate boiled shrimp. Grill them, pan fry them but boil them?

I know I will miss them, I miss my Grandparents dearly. It's just that to accommodate them and my sister limits me to showing up for pork loin that has been vulcanized. Hot sauce and baked bean sauce isn't doing it anymore.

my wife is allergic to pork so that is understandable. otherwise I cook what I want and if no one likes it, tuff, more for me !

Back