Pellet Grill Selection

I bought the Pit Boss Austin LX almost 2 years ago, it has been great , no flame outs or feed issues,$500 plus tax. wifi would have been nice, temps hold pretty close after its warmed up, I would buy another 1, I really don't think there are any bad 1 made by the bigger company's but like any thing else, addons make it nicer and runs the cost up. I only hear good things about most brands , I do see a lot of folks kicking Weber who don't own 1 though. things will improve with theirs 1 way or the other imo.

Don't forget Twin Eagle. It is one of few pellet smoker slash grill that get over 600 degrees. It's $8,000+ list, 36", has a 100 pound rotisserie and temp range from 140 to 725(!) with roll around base. Made in USA, it weights 325 pounds.

Last edited:
Don't forget Twin Eagle. It is one of few pellet smoker slash grill that get over 600 degrees. It's $8,000+ list, 36", has a 100 pound rotisserie and temp range from 140 to 725(!) with roll around base. Made in USA, it weights 325 pounds.

Cool, I will buy two... My wife was just saying we should spend $8K or so on a grill😂. I do understand that for those who can afford it, something like this would probably be the ultimate and last a very long time. But if I passed on a $90 thermometer in favor of a $20 one (that works GREAT by the way), you can imagine that I am not in the Twin Eagles/MAK or similar league. I suspect many of the rest of us here will also have to make do sorting through the $600 to $1200 options. The SmokeFire looked like it was going to blow that competition away, but it seems more likely that it is landing as a viable option with positives and negatives like some others in that field. So far, my $ is on Rec Tec, like I have, in that range. I enjoy my RT-700 and am guessing them to have something new within this year. But if I was buying right now, I would certainly still think about the SmokeFire.

Last edited:
Traeger back at Costco.
Big push to capture market share. Sales pn even the big ones. Had a long talk with the young sales guy. Surprised he knew all about the Weber. Tempted but too soon. Its still early.

I'm wondering if people prefer one type of exhaust over the other. I had a Rec Tec Mini with exhaust ports in the back like the SmokeFire and I have a Camp Chef with a Chimney. I haven't noticed a difference in getting smoke flavor despite the different configuration. I installed the Rec Tec WIFI controller in both and got better smoke because of that change but don't think the exhaust type made a difference.

Insanely priced but every single one here should be demanding increased temp capacity, rotisserie, thermal mass for stability on all the traeger and clone pellet grills. It's not rocket science. They all should safely reach 700. The wsm has a pan for thermal mass to stabolize Temps. What's up with the $800 grills that don't?
I like the features of the TE and don't see why the others don't have them.
If Weber fixes the critical failures in their design without setting houses on fire we are closer.
I purchased a gas TE a decade ago when an online dealer quit the brand. I think I spent 2500 delivered for that beautiful monster.

Our choice of grills is just like cars. Some of us can afford a 13 yr. old Dodge Dakota and some a new Mercedes. I don't expect my Dodge to have all the features in the Mercedes. All of those features jack up cost and I don't see the low and mid priced manufacturers doing that. So most of us look at grills at lower price points than TE. The features that those manufacturers offer become the basis for our buying decision.

If someone wants all Stainless welded construction, 700 degrees, 350 lbs., insulated, and thermal mass then they'll pay for it.

Back