Pellet grill needs a new glow plug with every use help.

Bunni Cooper

We have had our pellet grill for about 7 months. The first 4-5 months were amazing. The last couple months we have had to change the glow plug almost every time we use the grill. Sometimes it doesn’t heat from the start but often it will be mid grill and just stop heating we have had at least 4 meals ruined. Several times the glow plug only worked once before going out. On top of that these things are $20 each! Does anyone have any advice? (Wife here so I don’t know the model just that I am pretty sure this was the most expensive grill in the store and it’s huge)

As far as I know the igniter only needs to work 1 time at the start, I would suspect a controller issue no matter what brand. you can even jump start them when they won't light up. good luck and welcome to the site. hope you get it sorted out.

On my 2 grills the indicator for the ignitor shows it cycling on and off as the unit calls for pellets. Not sure about all models but that's how they run on mine

But, I am beginning to think it doesn't matter as I think the OP may have been a hit and run

Make sure you glow plug is making a good contact, most people use a small hose clamp to ensure a good connection to the glow plug assembly. If your glow plug won't start (getting an E6 error) open up your grill pull out the defuser stand so that you can see the burn pot, make sure there some pellets in it (grab a handful and dump them in the burn pot) turn on the grill and set the temp, fire up a propane torch, catch the pellet on fire using the torch, the grill should work from that point forward. If it does, then there's a chance that your glow plug assembly might be bad

Back