Pellet for tri-tip?

JoelH

So I am getting close to pulling the trigger on the SmokeFire. But I was just looking at the official Weber pellets and realized there isn't an oak option. I've only used either red or white oak on the Performer so I have no idea what is a suitable backup flavor.

I'm probably making a bigger deal out of this than it is but now I am a bit worried! :p

for me for tri tip, the smoke has been secondary to how it is cooked. I've used mesquite, hickory and oak on my pb 820 when smoking tri tip, and to be candid, they have all been good.

What I've done is take the TT out of the refrigerator an hour or two before smoking and get the internal temp to at least 50F before it hits the grill. Then smoke at 225 to 250 until it the TT gets to 215 to 220 internal temp.

Pull it off, wrap in foil and hold until 20 to 30 mins before serving then do a reverse sear.

I don't measure temps at this point. Just give it a minute per side turning often until it has a nice crust, then I pull it, then tent in foil for 10 to 15 mins, carve and devour it.

Just did a small tritip one on my Smokefire a few weeks back. I used Traeger's Prime Rib rub and a bit of olive oil, and a leftover mix of Pit Boss Competition and Weber Grillmaster Blend pellets. Indirect at 275 until 115, then cranked to 400 with the Grill Grates in, and seared on the GG for a minute or two on both sides. Sorry, no pics, but it was one of the best ones that I have ever done. The Traeger Prime Rib rub was outstanding, with just a hint of sweetness.
Many of the pellets out there have a very high oak content from what I've seen. The blends should get you the mild flavor that you want. Hope this helps.

Charlie

Back