Pecan Smoked Pork Butt - Wow

Matt B.

TVWBB Super Fan
I just finished eating the fruits of my overnight labor and this thing was amazing. I've never had meat like this, and I've had some good meat. This will provide many future meals.

This was an 8.08 lb. Tyson bone-in butt smoked for 12 hours at 250F. I used a variation of the Chris Lilly championship rub and injection and smoked over 3 fist size lumps of pecan and 2 of hickory. It was never turned and was basted at the halftimes. A good bark and 1/2" smoke ring developed. This thing was so flavorful, tender, and juicy throughout the meat that I could hardly believe it. It ranged from slightly hammy right around the bone to almost bacony with all kinds of variations depending on location of the meat. I had prepared a vinegar sauce, but didn't use a drop of it. The meat stood by itself.

Rub:
1/2 c. Turbinado Sugar
1/4 c. Paprika
1/4 c. Garlic Powder
1/3 c. Kosher Salt
2 tsp. Chili Powder
2 tsp. Cayenne Powder
1/2 tsp. Oregano
1/2 tsp. Cumin
3/4 tsp. Adams Mesquite Smoked Black Pepper
1/4 tsp. Accent (MSG)

I went with turbinado because I figured it might not caramelize as readily as some others. The Smoked Black Pepper is a favorite of mine. Otherwise the heat ratio was kicked up a tad to suit my personal tastes.

Injection:
1/2 c. Apple Juice
1/4 c. Pineapple Juice
1/2 c. White Sugar
1/4 c. Seasoned/Cajun Salt
2 tbls. Worcestershire
2 dashes Soy Sauce

Mop:
3/4 c. Apple Juice
1/4 c. Pineapple Juice (Canned, but fresh would be better)
1 tbls. Prepared Rub (Above)

I used some pineapple juice in these because I have read that it contains an enzyme that helps to naturally tenderize meat in addition to it's acidity. They say it's not present in canned juice at the same concentration as fresh, but I didn't want to juice a pineapple for only 1/2 cup of juice.

I stayed up all night with it taking just a few cat naps and reading Smokestack Lightning. It's a great BBQ book if you haven't read it.

Matt, Congrats on your butt cook. Glad it turned out great for you. Now about them pictures of said butt cook?
icon_razz.gif
Pee Can wood is a favorite of mine.
icon_smile.gif

It'll have to be pictures of the already-shredded meat, but I'll be happy to oblige. I really should have taken pictures of the process, but I didn't think there would be much interest. I'll have them up ASAP.

This was my first smoke using Pecan. Usually I use either mesquite or hickory with maybe a little of cherry or apple. This might be a new favorite.

BTW, if you haven't tried it Pork Butt goes very well with Hawaiian bread buns.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt B.:
I really should have taken pictures of the process, but I didn't think there would be much interest. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
DUDE! It's a BBQ forum and most eveybody else posts pics of their cooks, so you might as well join in, in all the fun.
icon_biggrin.gif
We like looking at food.
icon_wink.gif

Pecan straight up is great on butts. Also Sugar Maple is DA BOMB! on pork.
icon_wink.gif

I guess you're right, I should have thought about that. Of all places, this is probably the one where the most people would want to see pictures. The camera's batteries are charging now, so I'll probably snap some pictures tomorrow before we vacuum seal it.

Funny thing about the maple, I bought a bag of it but at the last minute I decided against using it because I wasn't sure what would happen. I'll be sure to try it next time. I was basing that decision on the picnic I did last weekend, but while that one was pretty decent, this is like a whole different animal. You'd never guess they're right next door to one another on the hog.

Sounds like a killer cook Matt, I also love cooking with pecan. I'll mix pecan and cherry and it's quite nice, give it a try I think you will like it. Very mellow but tasty

Back