Peach wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I'm assuming that's good for smoking, though I've never seen anyone post about it.

Anyone out there used peach wood? Suggestions on what meats it pairs best with? My father-in-law just trimmed off a bunch of branches from some trees in his yard, so I figured we should save them from the recycle bin!

TIA,
Rich

Should be some fine smokin' wood for any meat, Rich. If you're not sure, though, send me a sample and I'll do a taste test for you. About fifty pounds should do. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Steve, thanks for the input. I'm afraid the shipping on 50lbs of peach to IN would be a bit much from here in sunny CA. Would a picture of the finely prepared Q be a good substitute? I'd be happy to mail you a rib via USPS! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Rich,
While I am not a peach wood expert, I did snag some a year or two ago and used it with my chicken. Generally, I use nutwoods for pork and beef (with an occasional exception for mesquite [I know someone will probably point out that mesquite is a nutwood]) and fruit woods for chicken and fish. That leaves the "other" woods for whatever strikes my fancy--although Minion and others will vote for alder and fish--just like the natives in the NW have done for centuries. And I agree, it is a good wood for salmon.

Hope this helps.

Dale

Fruitwoods will be mild and will work on chicken and fish with no problems.
I use mainly apple and cherry for fish, alder is very mild.
Jim

Rich, check out this chart. I haven't personally used peach, but I'd like to try some. According to this chart, it's good with most meats.

Wood Flavor Chart

Let us know what you do with it and how it turns out.

Kelly

Thanks, Kelly. Aw shucks, now I have to fire up the Q again and make some more!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Boo-hoo! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Rich

I have tried peach with spares and babies ; they turned out great. they had a very light smokey flavor. Mulberry works great too. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I have a big old peach tree branch sitting in my garage. I got it from an orchard after a storm, so i'm waiting for it to be seasoned....how long? I dunno! Guess i'll give it a good 8 months or so.

jasn

Jason, keep an eye on it incase it starts to develope mold on it. Being that it's in the garage it can't get any air and take alot longer to dry out. Green wood has alot of moisture in it. It's probally best to put it out side so it can get sun, heat and air. You can bring it in if they are calling for rain.you can figure on 6 months if you put it outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back