Peach-Habanero Sauce

Bryan B

TVWBB Fan
Has anyone tried This?

Looks intriguing. I love Peaches and it's Peach season here in SC. I had a Mango-Habanero dressing at a restaurant last week and liked it very much. I'm interested in non-traditional BBQ Sauces so I thought I'd give this a try.

Has anyone ever tried this recipe or anything similar to it?

Not that one, but a similar habanero-peach salsa I received as a gift. These are two flavors that are really excellent together. Thanks for the recipe.
icon_biggrin.gif

Rich

Uh oh...now if this turns out to be awesome, I will have given away my secret, oh well.

Well if anyone has tried or decides to try this, let me know.

I am thinking of making it this weekend.

Dang...that sauce does sound rather tasty, especially when JimH mentioned using it over chicken thighs
icon_smile.gif

That does sound good Bryan.

I'm tweeking a blueberry bbq sauce for ribs for a comp in August. Right now have a batch of ancho-blueberry - a little more subtle, classic bbq sauce flavors. And I've also got a batch of jalepeno-honey-blueberry - much hotter and sweeter - and a lot more upfront.

But I think all of us here will be having some peach-habenero chicken thighs soon !

All these sound really good, so let me tell you about a new discovery. It's a purchase and it's a jerk sauce, but the base is pineapple (not that you can taste it) and habaneros. Two flavors -- mildly hot and really hot.

Check out http://theshizzlesauce.com/ . From the posts here you might just love it.

(Oh, I have no relationship with them other than buying their sauce. Don't you hate it when someone markets a sauce so good you don't really want to try to make your own?)

Rich

I might have to try using my son's jalepeno home brew in a sauce, but might work better as an injection.

Man I started to make this this weekend, but I got freaked out halfway through. I started choking from the fumes as I sliced open the habaneros. I used food safety gloves and did all that stuff right, but I got paranaoid that I wouldn't be able to handle the heat if I couldn't handle the fumes. Man...not sure how people can eat these things.

A couple of years back I won the rib category at a KCBS contest using a semi-homemade peach habanero sauce...The (simple)recipe was:

1 bottle of Cattleman's Classic BBQ Sauce
1 large can of "Ragged" Peaches - Pureed in a food processor
1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup Molasses
1 tsp (or to taste) Melinda's Reserve Hot Sauce

Blend all ingredients, warm on stove-top (or in a pan on your smoker) until warm (160 degrees ought to do it)...Do NOT boil

Just before saucing product stir in 1/4 to 1/2 of a TEASPOON of concentrated peach fruit flavoring (available at home brewing supply stores).

The last step is important because the fruit flavoring is what hit's the olfactory when someone (a judge for example) tastes the product.

Originally posted by Bryan B:
Man I started to make this this weekend, but I got freaked out halfway through. I started choking from the fumes as I sliced open the habaneros. I used food safety gloves and did all that stuff right, but I got paranaoid that I wouldn't be able to handle the heat if I couldn't handle the fumes. Man...not sure how people can eat these things.

It sounds like you haven't had much really hot, spicy food, Bryan. Some say they never want to go there. I'd suggest you go ahead with the sauce and adjust it after the fact if you find it's too much for you. And remember, you're getting the worst of it from the seeds and veins. If you remove them the habaneros are almost mild.
icon_biggrin.gif

I made up a tomatillo salsa last week using two orange habaneros without the seeds. (Anyone know if color has anything to do with heat in a habanero -- or are they just all at the top end?) The gas IS potent, but after making a pint of this salsa, I was really disappointed that there was almost no heat. I later added another finely diced habanero to the remaining half pint and that got the heat up a little, but still not overpowering. But then I'm a hot freak.

By comparison, in the Shizzle sauce I wrote about, they call their mild a "one habanero" sauce and the hot (Voodoo) is a "three habanero" sauce. How that might relate to their recipe, I don't know, but I'd guess that at least it uses three times as many. Feels like it!
icon_mad.gif

Rich

If you've got a good range hood, set up your cutting board on the stove, turn the hood on high and cut away.

Originally posted by RichPB (richlife):
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan B:

It sounds like you haven't had much really hot, spicy food, Bryan. Some say they never want to go there. I'd suggest you go ahead with the sauce and adjust it after the fact if you find it's too much for you. And remember, you're getting the worst of it from the seeds and veins. If you remove them the habaneros are almost mild.
icon_biggrin.gif

I made up a tomatillo salsa last week using two orange habaneros without the seeds. (Anyone know if color has anything to do with heat in a habanero -- or are they just all at the top end?) The gas IS potent, but after making a pint of this salsa, I was really disappointed that there was almost no heat. I later added another finely diced habanero to the remaining half pint and that got the heat up a little, but still not overpowering. But then I'm a hot freak.

By comparison, in the Shizzle sauce I wrote about, they call their mild a "one habanero" sauce and the hot (Voodoo) is a "three habanero" sauce. How that might relate to their recipe, I don't know, but I'd guess that at least it uses three times as many. Feels like it!
icon_mad.gif

Rich </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I would say you are mostly right. In general, spicy foods aren't big in South Carolina. A Jalapeno is way too spicy for the average resident. I've been getting into Jalapeno and Chipotle flavors of late, and thought I'd try the habanero. Maybe I should've went through with it....didn't realize that there was such a heat difference once you remove the seeds and stem.

Well, don't get carried away with the "so much heat difference once you remove the seeds and stem" bit there, Bryan. It's true, but it's still HOT!!

My wife isn't at all into heat. Likes her food spicy and tasty, but not hot. So when she made her excellent ground beef and bean chili yesterday, I took a quart out into another pot and added another tablespoon of chili powder (to her, THAT's hot) for flavor, a very finely chopped habanero complete with seeds, and three dried and re-constituted chopped chipotles. Now THAT has some flavor and is decent hot.

Just so you know, I gave up on the TOO hot foods years back. I want heat, but I want survival and taste buds too. So now I have a level I call "Rich Hot" -- most people won't eat it. The Shizzle Voodoo sauce is below that. So was my revised chili.

But Rich Hot is the proper level for a good fruit based sauce or salsa.
icon_redface.gif

Rich

With Jalapeno at 3500-8000 SHU, the Habanero at 100,000-350,000, I can't even imagine a Bhut Jalokia at 855,000-1,463,700 SHUs. I saw a show where they were using this and were wearing respirators, heavy gloves, and aprons. Wouldn't take much of these in your salsa.
icon_biggrin.gif

Wow that's scary. I'm not sure why someone would even consider eating something like that unless It's just a "wow I'm so manly" type of thing. I can see the habanero in small quantities but the ghost chili and stuff like that should just NOT be consumed at all in my opinion.

I may go to the restaurant that started this idea in my head and ask how many Habaneros they used in their sauce. Not sure if they will tell me, but to me it was the perfect amount. The heat was just enough to warm you whole mouth, but you didn't get the gagging feeling from it being too hot or anything like that.

Wow that's scary. I'm not sure why someone would even consider eating something like that unless It's just a "wow I'm so manly" type of thing. I can see the habanero in small quantities but the ghost chili and stuff like that should just NOT be consumed at all in my opinion.

I may go to the restaurant that started this idea in my head and ask how many Habaneros they used in their sauce. Not sure if they will tell me, but to me it was the perfect amount. The heat was just enough to warm you whole mouth, but you didn't get the gagging feeling from it being too hot or anything like that.

Hey, Bryan. I came back to add something on the original topic, but I have a suggestion for you regardless of the restaurant's recipe. Do what I did on that tomatillo salsa I made with habanero -- but start lighter.

Make whatever sauce or salsa interests you. Use one habanero with the seeds cleaned out. (Don't use any other hot peppers -- you don't want to contaminate your habanero experience.) Be sure you let it sit a day to set up right and try it. If it's too hot, well...
icon_frown.gif
No seriously, cut it with the same recipe minus habaneros. More likely you'll want more heat. Very finely chop (or grate) another habanero and add it in. Keep adding as you like (or if you like) until you have the right heat. (Some other time, back off on the number of habaneros and include the seeds -- more heat with fewer habaneros. I'd do this with one habanero only the first time.
icon_wink.gif
)

This process will take the "habanero terror" out of you and let you know what's right. Any you can use any good recipe you like, so it won't get boring.
icon_mad.gif

Now for the reason I came back to post. My mother-in-law has always made fantastic peach preserves and I get the lion's share. (Yes, I love my MIL!) But she gave it up because with age she just wasn't doing it right.

Last night I opened a pint only to find that it was basically peach syrup. Hmm. So a little while ago, I decided to make the recipe as you originally posted using this thick peach syrup. Since it has no peach chunks and I don't want to add more peach, I'll use a couple of yellow tomatoes to add some body. (I think that will make a better salsa anyway.)

It'll be a couple of days, but I'll add a new thread and link to this one when I get it done.

Rich

Back