PDF: The BBQ Wisdom of Harry Soo

Sadly Harry is contemplating retiring from YouTube, he isn’t making any money even though he hit his goal of 100K subscribers.
I just figured he was rich and was doing it for fun.
I learned a lot from Harry’s videos, great guy and great cook.
Maybe I’ll take his class one day.

I hate to be nosy, but how many subscribers does it take to create income via YouTube?

There are several ways to earn revenue on YouTube, but ads are the main way. YT sells the ads and collect the revenue and shares a few crumbs with the video creator. The more your videos are watched, the more opportunities for YT to place ads before/during your videos and the more ad revenue is generated. Having more subscribers means that your new videos get in front of more people; YT considers number of subscribers in its algorithm for how/where to promote your videos alongside other videos; and advertisers may consider number of subscribers when deciding whether to buy ads on your channel. The people who really make the big bucks are the people with millions of subscribers and millions of views. Some of these children that do toy reviews on YT are earning millions of dollars each year...crazy.

Rusty,
It is an 18.5, bought 2 months ago after attending Harry's class. I have 6 burns on it so far, 2 of those being seasoning.

I have done a few mods on it:
The lid hinge
Stoker II from Rock's Bar-B-Cue
Gasket for the lid
Sensor grommets from Rock's

Extra handles for the barrel and front of the top lid
tN97plob.jpg

Hold down clamps for the barrel to the base.
loYHFC7s.jpg

I started lighting the chimney this way because I didn't have any where else to set the chimney while lighting, and it made sense to me. I am VERY, VERY, VERY careful to make sure that I have a solid base for the chimney to sit on before I light the starter cube.
I don't see a down side to this method.

I wasn't going for a full 12 hour cook on this run. I put some ribs on and ran at 260 for 5 hours.

This is what was left after shutting it down and starving the charcoal: (probably about 50% burned)
BB3kKWl.jpg

I ran a test of the Stoker II controller after smoking some ribs on a previous cook and was able to hold 140 degrees for over 12 hours within 5 degrees
IF6mUaM.png

Getting back to Harry's smoke chunks:
He doesn't use any wood chunks with bark on it, especially for competition. It would be a wildcard variable.
He mixes types of wood depending on what he is cooking. He might have 2 pieces of apple and 2 pieces of hickory, and one piece of cherry. In my photos above, I have 2 pieces of red oak and 3 pieces of hickory.

On another note:

This is what he forced us to eat for lunch at the class:
SWADACN.jpg
Bill, Thanks for showing this. BTW, I was looking for something like this. Where did you get "Hold down clamps for the barrel to the base?"

Bill, Thanks for showing this. BTW, I was looking for something like this. Where did you get "Hold down clamps for the barrel to the base?"
It's been over a year since Bill has been here, so adjust your expectations for a reply accordingly. :)

Here are similar latches:

Last edited:
It's been over a year since Bill has been here, so adjust your expectations for a reply accordingly. :)

Here are similar latches:

Hi Chris,
You are really awesome!! Thanks. I was doubting that I would get an answer... Indeed, splendid. Will try these toggle latches/hooks. Thanks again.

Back