Pastrami

Mark Foreman

TVWBB All-Star
I am brining a top round roast. Plan is to make Pastrami in about 10 days. Always used brisket in the past but if you go to a deli, it’s top round.... pictures to follow in 10 to 12 days.

Looks interesting. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out. I always thought it was brisket flat. I am guessing you will smoke it when done brining?

Yes sir. Once I am done with the brine, a 24 soak in fresh water to desalt, then pastrami dry rub and into the smoker.....

Mostly a disaster.... there was a fat layer I did not catch, and 5 days into brining, I had 2 pieces of meat.... 1 thick, 1 thin. Then there was questions of how viscous the brine ended up. Went ahead and smoked them as there was no sigh of bad things. I smoked to 185, steamed to 205. Will cut in the AM.

sure smells good.

1620503816070.jpeg
Clearly used the wrong piece of meat.

pictures of cut meat tomorrow......

How can you call it a disaster without seeing or tasting? Cut it now...Cut it now. Cut it now. You got to try it.

1620588749904.jpeg

End result. Quite tender but major shrinkage. Definitely used the wrong piece of meat.....
interestingly, I just brined it and did not use pickling spice as Amazing Ribs suggested. I was surprised at the result of just using a Pastrami rub.

I did my first Pastrami a month or so ago. Used one of the briskets and it came out great. I was going to use one of the corn beef top rounds for the next one.
Really want to here what you have to say at the end of this before I do that..

To answer the questions...
Texture was very good, but a bit dry (my bad). Yes we inhaled it, it is gone. Smoked it to 185, steamed it to 205. The interesting thing was I did not use pickling spice in the brine as recommended by Amazing Ribs. Flavor was excellent. I just used Pastrami rub.

what got me started in the first place was realizing that deli pastrami is top round, not brisket in most cases. I was trying to recreate deli pastrami. I stopped getting it at the local deli when the price hit $11 plus.

Rich
I would definitely try a store bought corned beef round. I am pretty sure I bought the wrong cut of meat as it had a definite fat layer in it and during the brining, it came apart into 2 pieces.

Back