pastrami !

Louis

TVWBB Fan
Hi guys,
well it's been a while since i post but i got a question !!
icon_smile.gif

i am gonna try to make pastrami from a DRY CURE, in fact i was thinking about the recipe on the website (virtualweberbullet.com) !

but when i look around on the net about dry cured meat, they always say to dry cure for 5-7 days per inch of meat ...

but the recipe instruct to dry cure for only 3 days ! any idea ?? anyone tried it ?

5-7 days per inch is nonsense. That said, 3 days can be iffy for brisket flat, depending on thickness. You could go 5-7 to be safe. Make sure your fridge is 38-40, not colder than 37, in the area the brisket will cure.

thank you i'll try that ...

i really wanted to cook it next sunday do you think it could be a good idea to cut the brisket in 2 ? maybe it would help ...

also, have you ever worked directly with salpeter (potassium nitrate) ? i cannot find curing salt around here i always have to work with the salpeter ...

i've done some curing last summer but only in brine and it tooks nearly 12-14 days !

Sorry, I don't recommend the use of saltpeter. You can get Prague #1 on line.

Halving the brisket (unless you cut horizontally - not recommended) won't cut the cure time.

Thank you for the tips Rex.

K Kruger gave me a link to an online company that fortunatly ship to canada so i'll try this one first.

Also, at the moment, i stated my pastrami with salpeter at 39F in the fridge !

Back