Passover 2024

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
The cook will start tonight or early tomorrow. Between moving houses and getting the old House ready for sale, time has been tough to come by.

So this year’s Passover might be lighter on the side dishes.

But the staples should all make an appearance.

Brisket
Matzo ball soup
Chicken liver patè
Roasted potatoes with sautéed onions
Eggsalad
Babaganoush
Coleslaw
And the 2nd night will feature a boneless leg of lamb roast

1713625734010.jpeg

Last edited:
Been busy getting this all going.

Set the WSK up and made teriyaki chicken last night. First use of the WSK at the new place.

Built my fire this AM, trimmed and seasoned the brisket and finally got it up and going.

Here’s a live link if you want to see the temps over time. I’m running three probes in this cook, the point, mid section and flat. This way I can see how this hunka meat takes on heat and smoke.

Loaded the WSK with leftover JD and then some B&B briqs. Added in a 5” red wine barrel stave chunk and two pieces of white oak.

1713806234316.jpeg

Added two beef tallow chunks inside of paper towel as my starters.

1713806284186.jpeg

A little torch action and up and running

1713806312204.jpeg

About 5 mins in, had a nice flame going. Then installed the deflector player wrapped in HD foil and then a tray with water which helps keep even temps in the early part of the cook.

1713806385168.jpeg

1713806404478.jpeg

Slightly trimmed and SPG’d

1713806447426.jpeg

Point to the rear of the WSK

1713806536735.jpeg

Probed up

1713806555324.jpeg

Already made fresh mayo and babaganoush (roasted eggplant, cooked last night).

Potato kugel

1713825917336.jpeg

Chicken matzo ball soup (matzo balls come later)

1713825965310.jpeg

Chicken liver patè

1713826002597.jpeg

Lamb shank for the Seder plate

1713826033263.jpeg

8 hours, 21 minutes. Not bad for a 16#+ cook weight brisket.

1713835725553.jpeg

I budgeted 9 hours. Lookie there, I was ahead of plan and maintained low temps throughout the cook.

1713835803085.png

Soup is ready

1713835891794.jpeg

Used a new method.

Steep a full chicken for around 1 hour, until the breast temps to 165, in slightly salted water.

Debone the chicken and then place the bones, mirepoix, parsley and dill into the stock and cook for another 75 minutes.

Run the stock through a strainer, reserves the carrots and chicken skin for your dog, and then top off the concentrated stock to soup consistency.

Adjust salt as needed and refresh the soup with more fresh dill.

Best tasting chicken stock you can make. So dang flavorful.

Last edited:
Soup is ready

Used a new method.

Steep a full chicken for around 1 hour, until the breast temps to 165, in slightly salted water.

Debone the chicken and then place the bones, mirepoix, parsley and dill into the stock and cook for another 75 minutes.

Run the stock through a strainer, reserves the carrots and chicken skin for your dog, and then top off the concentrated stock to soup consistency.

Adjust salt as needed and refresh the soup with more fresh dill.

Best tasting chicken stock you can make. So dang flavorful.

That's gonna be some GOOD soup. Only downside is that it take quite a while. I will agree that's a really good way to end up with some of the best tasting stock. About the only thing I would usually add beyond that is a couple of bay leaves.

The cook will start tonight or early tomorrow. Between moving houses and getting the old House ready for sale, time has been tough to come by.

So this year’s Passover might be lighter on the side dishes.

But the staples should all make an appearance.

Brisket
Matzo ball soup
Chicken liver patè
Roasted potatoes with sautéed onions
Eggsalad
Babaganoush
Coleslaw
And the 2nd night will feature a boneless leg of lamb roast

View attachment 89544
Dang Brett! You got any spare time for a round of golf?

We stopped by a few stores to see what they had in the way of Passover food and the stores around here have almost nil. Not even regular Matza. We love chocolate covered Matza but have not seen that in about 5 years.

Back