PartyQ not working

Shayne P

So I bought a PartyQ and it arrived a few days ago. Today is my first test run and i'm noticing the fan hasn't turned on a single time. I have the probe in the bottom grate of my WSM. I set the temp to 250*

I got the temp up to 200* according to the built in temp control on the lid then closed everything up and plugged the PartyQ in. The temp on the PartyQ read around 200-205* but I have yet to hear the fan come on, when I look under the partyQ I can spin the fan but it has yet to turn on. Green lights flashing... I cracked the vents and got the temp manually up to 230-235* now the light is solid green however.. still no fan.

Any advice? i'm thinking the fan is faulty or something... or the temp sending unit that tells the fan to turn on.

Emailed BBQGuru, waiting for a reply.

I've had a PartyQ for a year or so now. I've noticed with mine that it can really start to act flaky when the batteries start to lose power, even before the "Low Batt" indicator is on. If you haven't yet, try another set of known good fresh batteries. Worth a shot at least until BBQGuru answers your email.

-Tom

Hmmmmmmmm, thats weard. Make sure your temp probe is in all the way. It is possible that u got bad unit, stuff happens........
If cant fix it I would have them replace it.

peter

Unfortuantly they havnt responded back to me, I just emailed them again. I was hoping to use it during a cooking comp this Saturday but I doubt that will be happening...

Here's the response I got back,

"Shayne who?

I just replied a few moments ago.

Kenny Baker

Director Of Operations

The BBQ Guru

357 Ivyland Rd.

Warminster, PA 18974

www.kennyb@thebbqguru.com

800-288-4878 x254"

That was two days ago, I responded back to his email within about 15 minutes. I have yet to hear anything back... I doubt i'll buy anything from BBQGuru ever again.

Just responded forwarding my billing/shipping information. I would have to assume that would be enough? waiting to hear back if they'll be sending a prepaid package so I can send it back for another. I was hoping to use the PartyQ this Saturday during a comp but that's not going to happen now...

WOW ! That totaly sucks man. On many different levels !
Did u try to call ?Sometimes good old phone call is better then email.

Peter

I was just thinking that PeterZ, I will be making a phone call today. Still no e-mail back!

Edit, Just called with no answer, left message awaiting a call.

Last edited:
I was emailed by a woman by the name of Lisa today, Account executive or something, she apologized for the slow response and stated Kenny has been in and out of the office all week. She stated she will be sending be a prepaid packing slip to return the PartyQ. She will also be sending me a new PartyQ under Kennys recommendation....

Hindsight is always 20/20 right....

Since we are on the subject of automatic controllers, the only reason why I choice the PartyQ is because it does not need an alternate power source and is to my knowledge the only battery operated controller.

For those of you using a controller that requires power how are you supplying power to it? running a plug out of your vehicle, generator (overkill) ..inverter.. or? it just all sounded like a mess to me. I don't do ALOT of overnight cooks and figured although the battery only lasts 48 hr's according to what i've read. I'm okay with that.. especially if I put rechargeable AA batteries in it.

I was emailed by a woman by the name of Lisa today, Account executive or something, she apologized for the slow response and stated Kenny has been in and out of the office all week. She stated she will be sending be a prepaid packing slip to return the PartyQ. She will also be sending me a new PartyQ under Kennys recommendation....

Hindsight is always 20/20 right....

Since we are on the subject of automatic controllers, the only reason why I choice the PartyQ is because it does not need an alternate power source and is to my knowledge the only battery operated controller.

For those of you using a controller that requires power how are you supplying power to it? running a plug out of your vehicle, generator (overkill) ..inverter.. or? it just all sounded like a mess to me. I don't do ALOT of overnight cooks and figured although the battery only lasts 48 hr's according to what i've read. I'm okay with that.. especially if I put rechargeable AA batteries in it.

Ok, Something is happening with your PartyQ return, thats good.

Now, I also have DigiQ for my big smoker. I did run it once for about 12 hours on very small 12v battery and it worked great. You can run those
on house power or car power or 12v battery. Now they also make small fans for those for smaller smokers.
I do like the DigiQ much better then the PartyQ.
You can do soooooo much more with DigiQ. Something to think about...............

Peter

Shayne, FYI... the batteries in my PartyQ only last 6-8 hrs TOPS. For long cooks over 6-8 hrs, I always have to swap in new batteries. Hope this info is helpful in some way.

-Tom

Tom Platz, that is surprising, what temp are you trying to achieve and what kinda fuel are you using? i've been told it should last 48 hours considering it's not very cold outside or improper fire.

I'm told by many over at CBBQA that Rock's stoker is where it's at.

Shayne, FYI... the batteries in my PartyQ only last 6-8 hrs TOPS. For long cooks over 6-8 hrs, I always have to swap in new batteries. Hope this info is helpful in some way.

-Tom

6-8 hours !?!?!?!?!? What !
I can do 2 cooks of 8-10 hours each NO PROBLEM with partyQ on one set of batts.

Peter

Really? Wow... maybe my PartyQ is bad too? I used mine with my Weber 22-1/2" kettle along with the Smokenator add-in all last year (just got my new WSM 22-1/2" yesterday), and never could get more time than that out of it before it would start behaving erratically, and the LO BATT indicator lighting up. 225 is what I always had it set to. Weird. ???

Back