PartyQ ATC for 18.5" WSM?

Randall S

TVWBB Fan
I've been reading up on this and for my personal use, I like the battery operation. Would definitely use rechargeable batteries. While I do like tinkering with my set up, using the PartyQ would allow me to replace my grill probe with a second meat probe on my Ivation wireless. Just can't decide whether or not to pull the trigger on it. Since I've only done a few cooks on my 18.5", should I wait and see if I really want/need it? Then again, I do like gadgets. Thoughts? :confused:

I have a PartyQ that I use on my 18.5 WSM. I don't smoke without it. I did the power adapter mod to it so I don't have to mess with batteries.

I have a PartyQ that I use on my 18.5 WSM. I don't smoke without it. I did the power adapter mod to it so I don't have to mess with batteries.

David, do you have the older model or the new? (Guess it shouldn't make a difference though.). I thought about the mod (maybe down the road) but for now, I don't want to run a power cord. I may be moving within the next year and depending on the new patio setup, maybe a power cord won't be as much of an issue.

One question, do you open the bottom vents and let the smoker heat to say 175-200 before you start the PartyQ and shut the vents?

I have the older unit. I leave the bottom vents closed and let the partyq bring it up to temp. I put whatever I'm smoking on the smoker when the temp hits 200 and then let the smoker come up to my final cooking temp.

I have the newer model and use it for every cook that I expect to be more than about 6-8 hours. It's a real sanity-saver when you can actually get a good night's sleep while your BBQ cooks. I have not done the power adapter mod, but do use high-quality rechargeable batteries (Sanyo eneloops or the Amazon Basics knock-off of them) and get (usually) a solid 12-14 hours of run time.

Typically, I start with all the lower vents open and the PartyQ off, but installed and ready to go. When the pit temp (measured by a Maverick ET-732 probe clipped to the top grate; the PartyQ's probe is clipped to the Mav probe) is about 50 degrees below the target temp, I turn it on and close the other two vents all the way. Depending on what I'm cooking, I might add the meat at that time, or I'll wait for the temps to stabilize. Butts I'll slap right on there. If I'm doing ribs or brisket, I'll wait for the temp to level out and for the TBS (thin blue smoke).

Another tip, unless you plan to leave the pit adapter on there permanently, head to Lowes or Home Depot and get a couple 3/4" metal plugs (like the ones shown below). Actually, get 3 or 4. They snap right into the vacant holes, but after snapping in and out a few times, the fingers can get a bit mangled and it's hard to get them to stay in once that happens.

VUPN8422.jpg

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered. Damn WSM is like my travel trailer.........you can always find something to spend money on! :rolleyes:

Thanks, Chad, I was going to try and find those plugs and now I know where!!! The adapter comes with a plug, correct?

And thanks again David.

I've used my Party Q only once with a rack of St. Louis ribs, and couldn't be happier with it. I had only an 8 degree max temp flux up or down (16 max) for the entire cook, was never able to achieve that performance before. Yes, it does come with an adapter plug, and a small strip of aluminium heat tape for sealing the other two holes of the vent. A youtube vid suggested to tape up the other two vents as well for better temp control. Here it is...

You will not be disappointed, enjoy!

EDIT: I suggest a light coating of peanut oil around the inside of the adapter, in order to assist the o-ring on the Party Q when you get your cooker set up. I found mine to be a very tight fit, and without a high temp oil assist (peanut oil), I could tell the o-ring would have a short life. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the battery mod with the new style PartyQ? Use the same style transformer as the old PartyQ?
Thanks, John M

Yes, the mod works quite well with the newest PartyQ. I use rechargeables, but have the mod as a backup.

Got a 6v1a adapter from Amazon for $2.55 including shipping! :cool:

Last edited:
Another question. I found a ac adapter. It's listed as a class 2 transformer. Output is ac 6.2volts, 1.24 amps. Will this be ok to use? Thanks, John M

Back