PartyQ AC adapter mod for less than 10 bucks

When I did my ac mod, I used what I had. 6v-300Ma radio shack ac adapter. I have had no problems to date. My temp probe just took a crap, but I know that's coincidence. Amp draw is the fan and not the system. Try It for free first. Good luck.

So would an adapter that is 5.1V - 2A be too much and fry the fan?

So would an adapter that is 5.1V - 2A be too much and fry the fan?

No, the device will only draw as much amperage as it needs (I don't have one but if I hooked it to a bench power supply it'd probably draw 200mA in standby, and maybe 700 under load (when fans are spinning).

No, the device will only draw as much amperage as it needs (I don't have one but if I hooked it to a bench power supply it'd probably draw 200mA in standby, and maybe 700 under load (when fans are spinning).

Thanks Clint! I appreciate your advice. I am going to go with the 5.1V-2A adapter as it has a longer power cord.

Exactly. Worse case scenario is the fan spins faster. Then the temp probe should kick in and turn the fan on and off. That's the regulator. Fan blows faster, but for less time=regulated temps. Remember... It ain't the volts that kill ya, it's the amps! :)

Exactly. Worse case scenario is the fan spins faster. Then the temp probe should kick in and turn the fan on and off. That's the regulator. Fan blows faster, but for less time=regulated temps. Remember... It ain't the volts that kill ya, it's the amps! :)

I don't think the fans would spin faster either :) .....hard to explain but maybe it's easier to consider it as headroom (nice but not needed).....

If you increase the voltage though, that will make the lights brighter & the fans faster.

Ohm%27s%20Law.jpg

I'm definitely not the smartest electronics guy here but I've had bench power supplies for >12 years (I have one on my coffee table right now), & I've never been able to force more amps through any device I've tried (several). Volts, yes, amps, no.

511RYOHL1bL.jpg

I do enjoy prototyping electronics, experimenting, but I don't have enough time or brainpower so I make a little headway, get distracted, ignore projects for months, and then start again.

Last edited:
I don't think the fans would spin faster either :) .....hard to explain but maybe it's easier to consider it as headroom (nice but not needed).....

If you increase the voltage though, that will make the lights brighter & the fans faster.

Ohm%27s%20Law.jpg

I'm definitely not the smartest electronics guy here but I've had bench power supplies for >12 years (I have one on my coffee table right now), & I've never been able to force more amps through any device I've tried (several). Volts, yes, amps, no.

511RYOHL1bL.jpg

I do enjoy prototyping electronics, experimenting, but I don't have enough time or brainpower so I make a little headway, get distracted, ignore projects for months, and then start again.

Success! Thanks for the helps and tips!

You're little cartoon looks more like the formula for finding watts. Cool pic and bench power block. Where can I find one? I actually need to slow a fan down. Might go but a blower resistor from ford. My trucks was only $17

I built one too....love the wooden batteries

I love my PartyQ, but like so many others, I wished it has an alternate power supply built in.

I borrowed this idea from someone else, so I can't take full credit, but here's the process for anyone interested. It's really simple and inexpensive.

The fan runs on half an amp, so I purchased a 6V, 1 amp power adapter (Amazon link below) and modified it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00COCGL8M/tvwb-20

I cut the tip off, stripped the wire and attached the exposed wires to a couple screws I had laying around, and screwed them into 1/2" wooden dowels, then taped the wires down with electrical tape.

Sorry this picture is a little blurry.

The red wire goes to the positive terminal, and the black wire to the negative.

I cut a small notch in the plastic base and battery cover to allow the wire through.

And here she is plugged in and running. I haven't cooked with it yet, but I let it run on my counter for a while and everything seemed to work great. Nothing shorted out or got hot, so that's good.

One word of advice would be to install the wood "batteries" before plugging it in. You wouldn't want to touch the screws when the adapter is plugged in.

I can't wait to use this the next time I cook and really be worry free. Having the batteries crap out half way through a brisket really stinks.

view

CMenard, see How To Post A Photo. I don't think you can post photos to a forum from Google Drive, and I don't know if you can post them from Google Photos, either. You could post to a forum from Picasa, but Google has discontinued support for that product. So you may end up having to use Photobucket or something else.

In the OP, it states that the fan pulls 1/2 an amp. This is equivalent to 500ma. If that is the case, I would get a power supply rated at one amp. Always better to have the extra current.
Can I get by using a 6volt 300ma adapter for the battery mod?

I updated the pictures with my new Flickr account since Photobucket is trying to rob people blind.

Bumping this to ask if the a/c modification will work on the newer design PartyQ. Is the battery compartment about the same and/or accepting to the wood dowels? Thanks.

Bumping this to ask if the a/c modification will work on the newer design PartyQ. Is the battery compartment about the same and/or accepting to the wood dowels? Thanks.

Did you ever attempt this mod on the newer gen PartyQ? I’m looking to pick up a new PartyQ for my 18.5” WSM.

After doing further research on this, I found comments from the YouTube “how to” video for this mod. The latest version of the PartyQ apparently draws a bit more power than the older units (hence the reports of shorter battery life). Thus a different power adapter is required... a 6v 2amp. A person who successfully completed this mod on the newer PartyQ recommended and provided a link to this power adapter...

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00LU8Z9JI/tvwb-20

One safety suggestion...Plug those into a GFI outlet if you have one...that way if some water spills or something you don't fry yourself...

Back