Park grill

Jess OH

TVWBB Member
I just got back from a weekend getaway in the woods at a rented cabin. They said they had a charcoal grill in the info but I wasn't expecting the heavy duty park style grill. I made it work using K and weber starter cubes I stacked the coal on the grill and dropped it down low and lit it from the bottom then dumped and cleaned the grates with tinfoil. I did a whole cut up chicken with an improvised tin foil cover and a steak the next night. This made me miss my grill arsenal at home but I was happy with the results. I was glad I didn't buy that whole packer I was eying up in the store... So the question is, what have you pulled off on one of these cookers? any good stories?

not that interesting but my motorcycle club used to go on overnight runs and we would cook up grub on those. most times it was steaks and potatos. travel well and cook up well.

We used them at the park years ago for our girls softball team cookouts. Just basic stuff - burgers and hot dogs. I have one mounted on a heavy base, but actually have never used that particular grill.

When I cook on something like that - or even my old Birmingham Stove and Oven Hibachi (the patent for which is now held by Lodge and the grill is still manufactured by them- mine is over 50 years old), I usually improvise a "lid" by using one of the half-sized (9x13) aluminum pans that I always have around. Works great.

Pat

I have also had to improvise when on vacations. Biggest chore usually is the cleaning process. It is amazing what some folks will leave on the grates.
This also makes me appreciate my equipment at home.

Ray

Every year about 50 folks head to Monmouth Park racetrack on a bus trip I go on. The bar that runs it brings the charcoal, food and the cooks. Usually just burgers, dogs, sausages, and chicken breasts done direct. They have two grills per reserved picnic area. Right there on the rail. Good times.

monmouth08014.jpg

You can see them in the back on the right. (check out Old Freddy takin' a peek)
icon_biggrin.gif

monmouth08022.jpg

Hey Joe, that you in the <span class="ev_code_BLUE">blue&white print shirt?</span>
if so, you look like Marcus, great guy I bartended with yrs ago.

Nope. I'm not in the pics. Here's me (doing the laundry)...
07-16-07_1535-1.jpg

The giy in the floral print shirt is Frankie (the chef from the pub).

Back