Pappardelle Ragu

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Diamond Member
Mostly traditional, added a very small amount of higher end reconstituted mushrooms, used bone broth and some of the mushroom water in place for beef broth.
Great looking prime grade chuck.
Made a sofrito, deglazed with red wine, added heirloom crushed tomato, san marzano tomato, the shrooms, broths, tied some fresh herbs together and a bay leaf.
Currently simmering on very low……just bubbling, getting that beef up to temp.
Going to coarsely pull that beef, boil the pappardelle.
Save some pasta water, hopefully finish in a frying pan…..hot….with the ragu then the pasta water and then the al dente pasta.
Steam off that pasta water and serve……with some celery bread for dipping.
Pics so far….thinking about an hour to two left before dinner time….we have been going now for about 2 hours.

Kudos to Brett for inspiring me with his “Rome Food” thread.

Attachments

• IMG_1334.jpeg
    IMG_1334.jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1335.jpeg
    IMG_1335.jpeg
    329.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1336.jpeg
    IMG_1336.jpeg
    466.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1337.jpeg
    IMG_1337.jpeg
    339.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1338.jpeg
    IMG_1338.jpeg
    321.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1340.jpeg
    IMG_1340.jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1341.jpeg
    IMG_1341.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1333.jpeg
    IMG_1333.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Polishing off the red, spooned off the fat from the top….pulled the beef into larger chunks….30 minutes out.

Attachments

• IMG_1342.jpeg
    IMG_1342.jpeg
    409.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1346.jpeg
    IMG_1346.jpeg
    305.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1345.jpeg
    IMG_1345.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1344.jpeg
    IMG_1344.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1347.jpeg
    IMG_1347.jpeg
    314.2 KB · Views: 9
Final pics…..it was good but I feel like I could make a one hour version that tastes similar….
Well received, made it feel “homey”….got enough sauce for a second round I am freezing.
Apparently making the ragu portion the day before and sitting in the fridge ups the flavour profile.
Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_1351.jpeg
    IMG_1351.jpeg
    268.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1352.jpeg
    IMG_1352.jpeg
    253.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1353.jpeg
    IMG_1353.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 7
Final pics…..it was good but I feel like I could make a one hour version that tastes similar….
Well received, made it feel “homey”….got enough sauce for a second round I am freezing.
Apparently making the ragu portion the day before and sitting in the fridge ups the flavour profile.
Thanks for looking.
Looks great to me. Nicely done!

Just buy something at Costco $20-30 and you’ll be doing superb. And a 21 is quite young. You might be better off with a heritage (blend) as it’ll have a lot more flavor and body.
I wish I got a couple more better pictures, my lighting was terrible in the early process as well at the end.
In previous chats above, I kept saying procini when I was looking for mushroom but in my head I was thinking morels........
I ended up with neither.......

I have a lot to learn apparently when it comes to red wine.......
Costco up here does not sell any liquor at all....the government has the monopoly on all booze sales.

The bottle I picked up and pictured above cost about $18
I was going to pick this up, I have had it before and people seem to like it....I guess it is a pretty good one, again I drank one before and found it to taste okay........$22 for this one

1726492505090.png

1726492483297.png

That turned out great, Darryl! I love an all-day sauce, but also like a "short-cut" version for those days when you don't have the time, or want to invest it elsewhere. I always make more than I'll need if I'm making a long-simmered ragu or bolognese......then it's in the freezer for anytime use.

R

I wish I got a couple more better pictures, my lighting was terrible in the early process as well at the end.
In previous chats above, I kept saying procini when I was looking for mushroom but in my head I was thinking morels........
I ended up with neither.......

I have a lot to learn apparently when it comes to red wine.......
Costco up here does not sell any liquor at all....the government has the monopoly on all booze sales.

The bottle I picked up and pictured above cost about $18
I was going to pick this up, I have had it before and people seem to like it....I guess it is a pretty good one, again I drank one before and found it to taste okay........$22 for this one

View attachment 100182

View attachment 100181
Check this guy out if you’d like to expand your wine horizons.

Unpretentious and easy to understand.

Back