Pantry Tuna Casserole

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Since the world is shutting down and all the stores have been looted, its time to dig deep into the pantry for meals.

Nothing fancy just some easy to make tuna casserole. Can be made with noodles or rice. We can our own Albacore tuna but you can use store bought.
You can add onions, or whatever else you like. This is just a basic out of the pantry recipe.

So Here it is:

1 pint jar of tuna (2-4 cans if you are using store bought.) Drained and fork shredded.
1 pound dry uncooked noodles of choice or 2-3 cups uncooked rice.
1 19oz. can of Progresso (see note) cream of mushroom(or whatever cream soup you like) soup.
1 package frozen vegetables of choice
2 cups grated cheese
grated Parmesan to top.
salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, old bay, whatever spices you like.
Toppings - Crushed Bread crumbs, potato chips (doritos, lays, bbq, onion sour cream, etc.) , crispy fried onions

Pre-heat oven to 350°f (You can so this on grill or in smoker too.)

Prepare a cold cast iron skillet by rubbing cold butter inside.

Cook pasta or rice almost until it is done. Shock in cold water to stop cooking.

Thaw frozen vegetables under running water.

Put cooled pasta into prepared cast iron pan.

Mix in tuna, soup, vegetables, 1 cup of shredded cheese, and spices you are using. Spread and flatten mixture in pan.

Top with your topping of choice ( iused crunched up lays sour cream and onion chips). Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and grate fresh Parmesan on top.

Cover with foil and place in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. Remove foil and cook until top is golden. You may need to use the broiler.

Allow to cool 5-10 minutes serve.

NOTE:

I prefer to use Progresso because of its consistency and it doesn't require additional water which is a big plus when we are dry camping. You can use other brands just keep in mind that you may want to add water.

49655365756_b580ccba88_c.jpg

Looks good Case. Our stores have been looted too. Barb is at work at Safeway as I type this she was supposed to work a one to five shift ended up doing a 11:45 to 7:45 shift. These people are nuts, they think that the world is coming to an end She called me and said the registers were lined up 10 - 15 carts back into the aisles.
Fortunately we are okay for at least two to three weeks if necessary. Not that I was worried but I just got my usual 150 pounds
of dog food from Chewy. So the pups are okay too.

I haven't eaten anything resembling that since, back in the 80s, my roommate and I included Tuna Helper among the 5 or so meals we knew how to make. It was not my favorite, but it was edible.

I swear to God I'm going to post the next bowl of soup I heat up. I thought this was a BBQ/Grilling site.

I swear to God I'm going to post the next bowl of soup I heat up. I thought this was a BBQ/Grilling site.

It is, but with all due respect this can be made in the smoker too, and we do. I post recipes like this to expand what people normally cook on thier smokers.

Looks great Case. My wife loves tuna noodle casserole. I'll be trying this on my smoker soon. I'm looking for quick stuff to do while this brief, but welcome rainy stretch is with us. Think I'll stick with bread crumbs over chips though. :) Thanks for the recipe.

Looks great Case. My wife loves tuna noodle casserole. I'll be trying this on my smoker soon. I'm looking for quick stuff to do while this brief, but welcome rainy stretch is with us. Think I'll stick with bread crumbs over chips though. :) Thanks for the recipe.

Cliff if you go with bread crumbs, melt some butter in a pan and roll the crumbs around in the melted butter, then top. This will help brown up the crumbs. No need to do this with chips, the oil on them does the same thing.

Right back at ya' with "Belly Ache", a recipe my Mother introduced me to over 60 years ago. It's the only casserole I ever eat.

Butter a high sided oven-proof dish. A souffle dish is perfect.
Cover the bottom with ordinary (not ruffled) potato chips and press them down a little bit.
Add a layer of frozen peas, canned tuna, and dollops of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup right out of the can.
Add another layer of potato chips (press them down a little bit) and another layer of peas, tuna, and Cream of Mushroom.
Make the last layer of chips nice large ones and arrange them attractively trying not to break them up.
Put in an oven preheated to 350F for 45 minutes.

Eat until your belly aches.

Back