Painting and Refurbishing the Badge

DannyGarcia

TVWBB Fan
I painted my badge with the High Heat Semi but im not liking the inconsistencies with the background. Some areas are glossy while they smaller thinner cracks seem to be more of a satin.

Im thinking to try high heat flat instead to make it look a bit more even.

What are you guys doing ?

Attachments

• 20240513_203655.jpg
    20240513_203655.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 7
Yah, I would sand it and see how it looks. If it still doesn't suit you, try another nice even coat.

Thanks Bruce. Thats what I hit it with but you can see in my pic the gloss is uneven in the background. Shinier in some spots and duller in others. Obviously I still need to sand the face
I've had that happen too. I think it's because of the original paint left in the badge. Another coat of paint should help.Screenshot_20230719-192310.pngScreenshot_20240515-220604.png

Last edited:
Bruce is the Weber whisperer :D
I don't pay much attention to that kind of stuff. Right, left, doesn't matter to me and I have yet to have a customer comment on the difference. My bigger concern is that the mounting posts match up with the lid I am using.
Actually @Jon Tofte is the one probably has the answers to that question.

I don't pay much attention to that kind of stuff. Right, left, doesn't matter to me and I have yet to have a customer comment on the difference. My bigger concern is that the mounting posts match up with the lid I am using.
Actually @Jon Tofte is the one probably has the answers to that question.
Doing a quick review of our collection of brochures and advertisements, it looks like it was right around 2000 that the kettle got moved to the right and reduced in size. I think it was done in recognition that gas grills were now becoming the big ticket and that kettles were no longer the dominant offering.

By 2002, the new Weber font with mild "serifs" starts appearing with the "b" attaching to the border of the badges. The kettle stayed on the right.

I doubt most people at Weber - let alone any grill buyers - even know the progression. When I did my Skyline 3-burner several years ago, I just liked the newer style logo and used it, even though the original Skyline had the older-type badge. It was the only badge I ever tried painting the letters and border white - to match the Weber corporate logo and tie in with the Skyline white striping. What a pain that was!

IMG_3983.jpg

Last edited:
Doing a quick review of our collection of brochures and advertisements, it looks like it was right around 2000 that the kettle got moved to the right and reduced in size. I think it was done in recognition that gas grills were now becoming the big ticket and that kettles were no longer the dominant offering.

By 2002, the new Weber font with mild "serifs" starts appearing with the "b" attaching to the border of the badges. The kettle stayed on the right.

I doubt most people at Weber - let alone any grill buyers - even know the progression. When I did my Skyline 3-burner several years ago, I just liked the newer style logo and used it, even though the original Skyline had the older-type badge. It was the only badge I ever tried painting the letters and border white - to match the Weber corporate logo and tie in with the Skyline white striping. What a pain that was!

View attachment 91136
It looks to have been worth the effort as it does just add a little more pop to it. I like it.

Back