Painted a genesis lid

Biagio Presti

TVWBB Member
My first restore and I scratched up the lid pretty bad unfortunately. I had used 0000 wool, soap and water and some degreaser but wasn't able to get a lot of the build up off (especially on the back of the lid),I then used a round nylon scrubber that attaches to my drill and that was a mistake and scratched the lid up. After various compounds and polish that helped some but still left obvious scratches I decided to try 2000 degree header paint and 2000 degree clear coat after getting the build up off, and figured I'll eventually find a lid off another grill one day to replace it. Live and learn. Note: The pics show it before the clear coat was "heat cured" and I plan to carefully clean and add another coat. I'll post additional pics lot the thread later on. It is still a work in progress and I plan to do the emblem and wood slats soon.

Attachments

• IMG_4768.jpg
    IMG_4768.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 46
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4807.jpg
    IMG_4807.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4809.jpg
    IMG_4809.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4810.jpg
    IMG_4810.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4854.jpg
    IMG_4854.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4855.jpg
    IMG_4855.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4859.jpg
    IMG_4859.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4867.jpg
    IMG_4867.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4858.jpg
    IMG_4858.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
There have been consistent warnings on here about 2 things. One NEVER use a Scotchbrite or any other such abrasive type product made of nylon and such on these components. Two, you cannot "paint" the lids over porcelain as paint will not adhere. It will always come off. Porcelain is basically "glass" and paint will not adhere to glass. Now that you know, best bet is to find another lid from a donor

Another bit of advice. You can unbolt the sides of the lids from the lid itself. Same with the Weber badge. You want to strip as much of that stuff off as possible whenever you are grinding, cleaning, painting. Same with the frame, you should be able to tear it down as well and not have to worry about taping things off.

And like was mentioned already, it's not likely the paint on the lid will last very long. Those grills are really cheap and easy to come by, so it shouldn't be too hard finding a good replacement.

We all make mistakes, I certainly have made many when it comes to grills and grilling.

Live and learn. I am sure I am not the only one that made similar mistakes on their first rehab. All above is good advice to follow on the next lid you find to clean up.

"My first restore and I scratched up the lid pretty bad unfortunately. I had used 0000 wool, soap and water and some degreaser but wasn't able to get a lot of the build up off (especially on the back of the lid)"

A razor blade scraper is the tool for this job. I would never have thought using that without the tips coming from this board. Doesn't leave any trace at all.

Here's 15 years of grease coming off the back of my lid. None of this was coming off with cleaners or steel wool.

Attachments

• IMG_0231.JPG
    IMG_0231.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 35
does anyone here have a red lid like mine for sale? Even just the porcelain part, not the sides or handle.
Keep an eye out on Facebook Marketplace. Lots of people will be buying new grills for Memorial Day and should be getting rid of old ones soon. Over the past couple months I saw at least 3 of those older red gassers sit there for free for weeks in Atlanta Area. Should be some stuff in your area, just have to keep an eye out.

does anyone here have a red lid like mine for sale? Even just the porcelain part, not the sides or handle.
Biagio: I have one, but the shipping charges would be pretty high. If you can find one local, it is usually a much better deal.

Looks like a perfect donor grill. Kind of like the heart transplant surgeons in the movie "Threshold" talking about waiting for the "next motorcycle accident!"

Back