P shaped vents fully close or not

Stevie

Hi guys, just got my 1st weber kettle and as the title suggests my bottom vents dont seem to fully close. Is this normal for a grill with the P shape vents?

Not sure if it's very clear but hopefully you can see the small gap still showing. This is with the one touch system in the fully closed position.

Attachments

• 20220324_100017.jpg
    20220324_100017.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 52
Stevie, I can't be of any help but I assembled a Kettle for my son-in-law yesterday and noticed the same gap on his. I'll sit back with you and wait for some Kettle expert wisdom.

Edit: I noticed that I can push a blade down lightly from the inside and move it to a 100% closed position but it will always have a gap after sliding the blades with the handle.

I have slots not P openings, but I think there will be enough ash to full close that tiny opening after a very short cook when you shut it down.

On mine, with slots, the back and forth motion to clean gets most, but not all of the ash out.

20220325_122731.jpg

It's hard to show with a Pic. Maybe this is a better angle. I cleaned the ash moving back and forth, and then opened it slightly. There's a little ash on the base and some on the sweep.

I suggest cooking on it!

20220325_123743.jpg

I can fully close them by hand as there seems to be a bit of play in the blades but as soon as i open and close them again with the lever they go back to leaving a gap.

I read somewhere that this is the new design to give better control for low n slow temps and that they don't fully close but was just wondering if anyone could confirm this.

With a load of ash, I would think they would be well enough covered for a shut down. My kettle has not been that clean since the day I bought it almost 30 years ago. I’m far less fastidious than many here. Dirty enough to seal, clean enough to cook. I figure anything that can live through a high heat preheat is welcome to kill me.

My performer has the P shaped vents and they fully close. It may be that you need to rearrange the sweep blades, or maybe the bowl and the ash ring underneath are put together wrong. How about a pick of the whole outside of the grill from the one-touch lever side?

I have three kettles that have the P holes and all cover completely. Is there any wiggle room in your outer ring that the handle goes through? If not I’d just file it a bit to allow a little more movement and call it good

If you would actually read my post, the first part is if there’s any room he can work with. Lightly massaging the area isn’t hacking by any means.

Well I got this reply from weber but I don't see any instructions included with the grill on how to reassemble the blades as they came pre assembled out of the box.

Will have a look at the bowl and ash ring today and see if I can adjust it at all.

" Hi Steven,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Sorry you're experiencing difficulty with your barbecue.

This is a query we often get with the one-touch cleaning system and it's usually due to the following reason. The cleaning fan blades need to be assembled in the correct order. If you take them apart you'll notice on the underside they're numbered according to the order they need to be placed during assembly.

If after reassembling, you're still experiencing this issue, please get back in touch and we will help you further.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Have a great day.

Best Regards,

Josh
Customer Service
Weber-Stephen Products UK Ltd
10th Floor Metro Building, 1 Butterwick, London W6 8DL, U.K. "

Yours look like mine 1 2 3, and installed at the factory.
Check out One Touch replacement on the Google.
I had directions when I did an older OTG.

Last edited:
Had a play with the ring, took it off put it back on but no luck. I don't see any room for adjustment as it is right up against the leg as far as it can go.

Attachments

• 20220326_115255.jpg
    20220326_115255.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 8
Doesn't look bent at all, I did notice the centre of my blades doesnt have the small round indent like yours though and there does seem to be a bit of play in the blades

Doesn't look bent at all, I did notice the centre of my blades doesnt have the small round indent like yours though and there does seem to be a bit of play in the blades
I was about to say what Timothy said, but wanted to see your reply. You may be able to slightly bend the handle to the right giving extra clearance.

I never had a problem with my kettle, it seals up fine.

It's probably not a huge issue anyway, just wondered if it was supposed to be this way or not. I guess bending the handle would probably be the easiest fix.

Back