P shaped vents fully close or not

It's probably not a huge issue anyway, just wondered if it was supposed to be this way or not. I guess bending the handle would probably be the easiest fix.
Yes, just take the ash catcher off and the grates out, then flip the bowl to do it so you can maintain clearance with the ash catcher ring.

The only issue you will have if you leave it is your fire may not shut down as fast when closing the vents. Thats all really.

I guess it's possible that the sweeps are installed correctly but the P vents got punched out incorrectly (slightly off ).

You got the one I usually do, it’s the only one that was not quite punched straight! I swear every time I buy something, it has some sort of “unique” aspect. I could buy a cube and one side would be “off”!
Now, back to the issue, I think I’d go ahead and bend the handle a wee bit, then Bob’s your uncle!

If you would actually read my post, the first part is if there’s any room he can work with. Lightly massaging the area isn’t hacking by any means.
He shouldn’t have to file anything. I suspect there is something not assembled properly between the bowl, legs and the ash ring, as in one (or more) of them is off by 120 degrees. As for massaging your grill, you do you. We won’t judge:p

Last edited:
Have you tried the ash collector ring in different positions? It think it has three possible positions. It might just give enough extra movement in one of the other two positions.

I've found my MT doesn't fully sweep in both directions so it builds a ridge of ash at each hole. It's annoying. I'm sure my older ones used to fully push the ash down the holes in both directions.

Back