overnighter with butts

Craig Castille

TVWBB Wizard
I was requested at work to bring in "some of that pork" on monday. I checked the freezer and of course there wasn't any left.

Haven't done an overnighter for a while so I went to Sams and picked up a pair of 7+ lb'ers.

Loaded up the wsm with a full ring of Picnic lump along with pecan and apple chunks. Night time temps were to drop to 50 degrees (that's wintery for us).

Put them on at 11 last night. Checked on them at 4:30 am, lid was at 220 so I cracked open the vents to 50%.

Checked again at 6:30 am, lid temp steady at 235. Left it alone ( I am hoping for a 2 pm finish) as I don't want them to cook too fast.

Sorry to bore everyone, but this smoker always amazes me.

PS- The Picnic lump has barely began to burn down into the ring as of yet. Tons of fuel left.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">PS- The Picnic lump has barely began to burn down into the ring as of yet. Tons of fuel left. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been using R. Oak for the past year now. Was using Hump Lump, but haven't made the 45 minute drive to get any in the past year. R Oak seems to burn way to fast. I wish I could get a hold of that Picnic lump you are using. I'll have to make the journey to get some Hump Lump.
It's funny, the crew at work refers to it as "that pork" also lol.

I use Royal Oak, but not for overnighters.

It's really good stuff, but I had a hard time getting it to burn past 10-12 hours in calm conditions.

I use Picnic, Wicked Good Comp, and B & B from Walmart. All 3 are terrific.

You may venture into your local walmart and see if they can get some B & B. It is far superior to Royal Oak.

All I ever see at Wally Marts is the R. Oak. That's where I get it, but I'll ask if they have anything else next time. I also can only get 10-12 hours out of the R.O., and that was with packing it in tight to make sure there were no gaps.

Same here with the royal oak. Seems to burn about the same speed as K. The one thing it doesn't have compared to K is the ash production. I like the RO but I would like to try something else. I haven't found anything else but cowboy. I just pass on that. I had been thinking about getting some more Kamado coconut. I got in on a group buy last summer and really like it. It is just the same ole story with them. Email and call and if you are lucky you may get a reply.

I was thinking back a few months ago of ordering a pallet of WGC but now they don't make that anymore. I may just have to try their regular weekender or whatever it is called.

I have been looking at wally, everytime I go in there I check for B&B. None yet. I was there yesterday and couldn't even find the charcoal. The csr didn't even know where it was. The B&B must be regional.

You might try a restaurant supply house.

I just pulled off my butts from last night.

15 hours cook time and lots of fuel left. I'm sure I have at least 5-6 hours left on this load of Picnic.

But I'll shut her down and save it.

Last night, I fired up the WSM and it was at 260 dome temp, meat on at 6 PM. R.O. was flush with the top of the basket, lasted until 02:30 and I had to refill it.
Pulled 2 butts and 1 Picnic off this A.M. Picnic gets made into BBQ right away.
Wife just got back with the Spares for Sunday.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back