TVWBB Fan
Just started the preps for an overnight PP cook. Here are my pics so far:

09-04-1001PulledPork.jpg

09-04-1002PulledPork.jpg

09-04-1003PulledPork.jpg

09-04-1007PulledPork.jpg

09-04-1008PulledPork.jpg

09-04-1010PulledPork.jpg

I am going to put them on the WSM at about 11 pm tonight with the idea of being done sometime around 4 pm tomorrow. Going to put a full load of Kingsford in the WSM (with the extra large charcoal ring from Cajun Bandit)using the Minion Method. Using a combination of Pecan and Apple wood chunks. I am going to set the temp for 225 on the DigiQ.

Off to start some home made sauces (traditional and mustard style).

Wish me luck.

Doesn't sound or look like you need any luck... looks like you got it down.. but don't forget to shut that door.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I really should take that sign down... remnant from our last party. Thanks for the support. Meat went in to the smoker 5 mins early (10:55). The DigiQ is working like a champ and is holding temp rock steady. Today was a very windy day in our part of the world and I was worried it was going to cause temp control issues. Well the wind has died down and it is going to be a clear and cool night. Perfect conditions for this overnight cook.

So far so good.

I noticed TONE's spices among your collection and would recommend you give their Chipotle Southwest a try.

Well my smoker temp ended up settling in about 250 to 255 because I didn't close down the fan damper enough. Which is fine, just means I will be pulling the pork off the WSM early. I will double foil and hold in an empty ice chest till about an hour before dinner. Then I will pull and serve.

Here are the pics of my results so far:

09-05-1011PulledPork.jpg

09-05-1012PulledPork.jpg

09-05-1013PulledPork.jpg

09-05-1014PulledPork.jpg

There is a definite temperature difference between the WSM installed probe and the DigiQ pit probe. Not a huge deal to me as I use the DigiQ as my reference. As long as it is consistent during and between cooks.

Looks awesome. How did it taste?

What do you mean you didn't close the fan damper enough? does that mean too much air gets in when the fan is off?

I haven't tasted it yet as it is still on the smoker. Sitting at about 183 for meat temp. The bone is loose but not quite there yet. I will check again at 185. If the bone is loose enough, I will stick a probe in it to further test for tenderness. I suspect it may not come off till closer to 190 (last time the 4 butts I did ranged for 187 to 191).

As for the fan damper, yes there is a damper that can be throttled to control the amount of air coming from the fan and going to the pit. It also limits the amount of air in leakage when the fan is off (which is most of the time for this cook).

Just pulled the pork. Final internal temp 187 to 190 depending on which butt I probed and where. The probe went into the meat like going into butter. I am very happy with the texture of the bark. I added a good portion of Ancho Pepper flakes to a basic rub. I am definitely liking the added heat and my wife agrees. Finally getting over my obsession with internal temp being the end all indicator of doneness and tenderness. I understand that internal temps get you in the ballpark, the rest is feel. Just need to apply these lessons learned to my ribs. Thanks for the info on this website for helping me become a better BBQ cook.

Current pics:

09-05-1017PulledPork.jpg

09-05-1016PulledPork.jpg

09-05-1018PulledPork.jpg

Pulled pork sandwiches wouldn't be complete without a tasty dessert to accompany them. So here is my homemade peach cobbler baking away in the oven.

09-05-1019PulledPork.jpg

Back