Overnight Prime Beef Brisket

Tom Chips

TVWBB All-Star
I fired off the last of the two prime briskets last night Got the fire started.

Meat trimmed. A great deal of fat on these primes.

DSCF1560.jpg

Rubbed with mustard, and my current spice blend, a mix of black pepper, chipotle powder, rubbed sage, coriander, garlic powder, thyme, a dash of cayenne, and a dash of chinese five spice all ground very fine in the spice grinder.

DSCF1561.jpg

The life support to get thru the whole night.

DSCF1562.jpg

The final result, on at 11, off at 2 the next day, rested for about 40 minutes. Average cook temp was 240 throughout. I cannot stand waiting for an eternity cooking on of these primes at 210 or 220. They take way too long.

DSCF1563.jpg

Sliced and delicious. Still a lot of fat to carve out, but moist, tender and very tasty.

DSCF1566.jpg

Still not sure I want to pay near $4 a pound for this meat. I don't compete, so I'd rather just find better quality packers than the no rolls that I find nearby.

Now after nearly 30 hours, I can finally go to sleep. I'm switching back to night shift for a while on Thursday, and have to get ready for that.

Looks great Tom. Nice smoke ring. So could you tell that much of a difference with the prime vs. say a CAB choice cut? Reason I ask is I've been thinking about getting a Wagyu brisket. I can get them for $2.99 a lb when I buy two packers.

Excellent effort.

To be honest, I couldn't tell you only because I've never cooked a CAB. Thats not a bad price though.

This was nice, but as years go by, I find that I do enjoy pork more when it comes to BBQ. Something about the depth of flavor or something. Of course this isn't counting grilling. Give me a big ol ribe eye any day over a pork chop.

wsmsmile8gm.gif
. That really looks moist and tender! I've not had prime, but you might find a wet aged choice or select has sufficient fat that you can hardly tell the difference. Still, I'm getting a couple packers this week (please God let them get it right this time) and I'm happy to pay $3.40/lb for AA, so it would be a thrill for me to get prime for $4/lb.

Yeah, to be honest with you guys, I'm a little burned out with racking my brains over these cooks. I do like brisket, but there are so many variables that are difficult to anticipate, and they seem to change so easily. I just went with what I trusted, and ended up happy with the results.

For instance: The tenderness with a knife, or whatever probe instruments revealed inconsistent areas of tenderness. My Thermopen showed a temp of 170 in an area of the thin tapered flat, but higher in the center, measured away from the fat line.

I felt that perhaps I wasn't keeping the meat at the proper time at temp long enough to get full tenderness. But I was tired, wanted to go to bed, and knew I would be absolutely furious if I cooked another dry brisket. I have certainly gotten better in the last year or so, and can now turn out a pleasant dish, that is satisfying.

With this cook, I am very pleased with the bark, the flavor and how the spice rub finished on the product. The smoke ring is good. The tenderness is likely a low 8 on a scale of 1-10.

I think the only thing I'd like to add on this cook is a good side of a nice BBQ sauce that I can dip in, but alas, no carbs for me.

Thanks for the compliments.

I'm waiting for one of our brisket Jedi Masters to drop by and chime in.
icon_smile.gif

P.S. You guys are going to have to see my ugly grill now, I'm bored with the swedish chef.

What size was that to start weight wise? It looks like it was cut from a packer kind of strangely. (Or it is just the pic angle.)

What about the tenderness would make you say 'low 8'? Think it could have gone longer?

Ring looks pretty!

You don't need carbs for sauce. You could go with a horseradish cream, a Dijon cream, a chipotle mayo, a Dijon mayo-sour cream combo, an herbed combo, etc.

A horseradish sauce like with prime rib might have been nice. But I'm still a sucker for a sweet tangy red tomato based sauce.

The weight was either 15.5 or 16 lbs. Thats what both weighed individually when I bought them, they aren't labeled individually.

The photo certainly has a fish-eye kind of view, making them look squat and oddly shaped.

Not sure if it would have hurt to go longer or not. It was certainly my most tender and moist brisket to date. Probably much higher than an 8, but I'd want others to weigh in. Kinda hard when I'm the only judge. So I tend to be strict.

Tom, The brisket looks fantastic, nicely done Bud. Looks very moist and that's an awsome smokering you have there, Great job.
icon_cool.gif
Thanks for the coffee set-up pic. That's the coffee maker (Technivorm Moccamaster KBT-741) I'm eyeing up to get, how do you like it?

I love the coffee it makes. The build quality is kinda particular. They had to scrimp on all the other materials in order to keep costs down, after installing the massive copper wound commercial heating element. So we're left with very thin flimsy plastic parts for everything else.

Specific criticisms:

1) Look at the pic I posted and you will see that the power cord comes out of the unit at the side. I cant have it go out the back of the device, out of sight, and out of the way. So it takes up a bit more counter space, and looks uglier.

2) How hard is it to make a carafe with a pour spout? My god, I spill as much coffee as I pour into the cup. Seriously, you have to get the pour speed, angle and all that fun geometry just right (not fun early in the AM) in order to pour your coffee correctly without spilling it.

3) The flimsy basket has indicators that tell you wether the outlet valve is closed, half open, or full open, but they don't line up at all with the lever and hole, so in my opinion are worthless.

4) Probably the most irritating, the stupid black plastic "thing" that serves no purpose what-so-ever, that is supposed to slip under the unit, and the carafe is supposed to sit on top of that. But if it's only a millimeter out of whack ( and it gets that way very, very easily) then the carafe wont sit close enough to the unit, and thus, wont depress the button at the bottom side, that commences brewing. If you forget that, and come back for your coffee 10 minutes later, you still have a empty pot and a cold machine staring at you.

The simple solution to the last problem is easily solved by removing it all together.( its against the wall behind the machine)

In my final verdict, I love the coffee it makes, it makes it lightning fast, and the carafe when closed keeps the coffee hot for half a day at least, without a noticeable loss of flavor.

I can't imagine what the designers and developers were thinking. In my mind, I think if someone is willing to drop $270 on a coffeemaker, they'd likely be just as willing to drop $280 for one that has thicker quality plastic components, and a damn pour spout or better lip on the carafe. I have no doubt that this machine will last me a good 15 years or more, so it's actually a value for the cost. I just think it would be near indestructible if built with thicker plastic. I worry about dropping or otherwise damaging them. And I wash everything right after brewing. I don't think the dishwasher will be too kind to the rubber plug stopper in the basket.

Hope this helps bro.

I'll get off my soap box now.

niiiiiiiice. I'm still honing my skills on the 1.49 choice packers before I attempt something like that. The bark looks like obsidian, way cool.

Tom,

You came through with your pics as mentioned last weekend!

Beautiful! This looks excellent!

Did you get that at Del Monte?

Looks terrific, moist, nice bark...very nice.

Yes, Del Monte Foods, has every high end protein a person could need. I'm thinking about trying some of their chicken next.

Well it looks great, why not do a brisket for your family for Thanksgiving?
icon_smile.gif

If you did a turkey with a brisket, they could have their choice of meat.

I noticed you put five spice in your rub, my wife would never let me do that. She doesn't like five spice at all...but it sounds like you just use a touch of it.

On the low carb, you must be in heaven right about now Tom!
icon_wink.gif

Tom,

One thing I remembered when talking with John Enea on the phone yesterday, is Lunardi's. They have a store up in San Fransisco also, and there's one down in Los Gatos. They do have excellent meat, I have gotten meat there before.

I'm not sure if you have ever shopped there in the city or not, but they are worth trying as well.

They had some naturally grown chicken leg/thigh sections on sale this week for $1.59/lb.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Chips:
Still not sure I want to pay near $4 a pound for this meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Choice flats here run $3.99lb. so your doing good on that price Bud. I usually just get no roll Excel packers at Wal Mart for $1.72lb. can't beat that price and they come out just Dandy.

Back