Overnight cooking

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
3) Don't peek. Most cooks I don't remove the lid until I'm testing for tenderness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dan - when I started I had the same tendency to peek and fiddle. I then purchased the Maverick wireless temp monitor (tons of threads on it on the board, believe it is the ET-73 model). Gives me the smoker temp (pay attention to where you place it b/c most temps given are lid temps which are approx 15 - 25 deg higher than at the top grate) at the top grate plus the meat temp. Now I never peeked unless I need to turn the meat or some such.

Triple ditto on all the tips passed on by Larry. I use the clay saucer with great success. You should try it, no pan to dry out and tend, no greasy water to spill or find a place to dump. Went back to water once and was left with the conclusion - why bother - only diff from clay pot was more work and mess.

14" clay saucer fits perfectly inside the WSM water pan. I believe this is standard setup for most. J.D. had some good step by step pictures of the setup I'll try and find them and post.

I have been using sand for some time now. I tried the clay saucer and was happy with it until it cracked.

I fill the pan a little less than 1/2. then smooth it all around with a bit of a concave in the middle. Double wrap with foil and that works pretty good.

Larry,

Yes it was my first butt.
I had to fill water in the bottom pan after 12,5 hours. But my temperature staid constant without touching the vents for 10 hours. I think about 230 (It was 110°C on my scale).
I can't compare with former experiences, but I believe these are good values.
The butt was ready after 20 hours on the smoker, I let it rest for an hour before pulling. It was nice and moist, the bone almost fell out...fantastic.
We had friends come over and the guy never had eaten something like that. It was great...ofcourse lots of Belgian beers
icon_wink.gif

Bert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shawn W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I used water in the pan as hot as I could get it from the tap. Cook went 14 hours, and I didn't have to add fuel or water. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You mean you didn't choose to add water? Standard pan can dry up in as little as a couple hours. ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Normally, I have to add water, but not this time for some reason.

Bert, first butt, nice! Sounds like a great cook and sharing Q with friends makes it even better! Your numbers sound perfect!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan J:
Are there clay saucers available that fit where the water pan rests, or do you need to modify it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What I use is some old lava rock or ceramic briquettes from my gasser, covered in foil.

Back