Overnight cook question

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by patrick sullivan:
When you cook overnight, do you just set the WSM and go to bed, or do you stay up and check it from time to time? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use Maverick ET-73's which will alarm you if your temps drop or spike or when you meat is done per your programming. You could load up and go to bed, but I would make it a point to check every few hours to ensure all is well.

I'll load it up and stay up 2 to 3 hours to make sure it is stabilized, then go to bed. I'll typically get up once during the night to check on it, and that's it.

I also use the ET-73 and in a handful of overnighters I have yet to be awoken by the alarm. In my experience, if you load the cooker right with a couple of hours to settle in before bed, you can sleep tight knowing that all will be well (asuming no adverse weather). It really can be "set it and forget it".

Ditto on the ET-73. I spend a couple of hours making sure that the WSM is stabilized, then go to bed. I haven't had to get up yet. I must admit, however, that knowing that the smoker is churning away while I'm in bed makes for a fairly restless night of sleep.

A BBQ Guru works fantastic for overnighters. It will stabilize the temps in about 30 minutes and then you can catch some zzzzzzzz's. You can then sleep through the whole night without any worries.

In the beginning, I had an ET-73 and I generally stayed up most of the night. Now, I've used my WSM enough to "know it". So now, I get it going and stable for a couple hours and then go get some sleep. I don't even use my ET-73 any more. Generally, I don't sleep through the night any more anyway, so I'll get up and check it once or twice if/when I wake throughout the night.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris W.:
I'll load it up and stay up 2 to 3 hours to make sure it is stabilized, then go to bed. I'll typically get up once during the night to check on it, and that's it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1 on this. I do not have the guru or the maverick but I do monitor the meat via wireless. I need to get some more toys for this thing. To check my cooking temp I just look out the window infront of my kitchen. Sometimes with a flashlight! LOL

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clint:
LOL @ vince's wireless. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That did sound funny! What I ment was I have a wireless thermometer. Basically like your mavricks but I have a handheld that I keep with me in the house to keep an eye on the temps of my meat! I guess it's kind of wireless.

Just start it, get it set and go to bed. Time to check when I get up 6-7 am. It's never been a problem even if the temp has wandered a bit. Just do a morning adjustment and go on. Frequently it needs some charcoal between 7 and 8 to keep the temp up until the end of the cook

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill_W:
Just start it, get it set and go to bed. Time to check when I get up 6-7 am. It's never been a problem even if the temp has wandered a bit. Just do a morning adjustment and go on. Frequently it needs some charcoal between 7 and 8 to keep the temp up until the end of the cook </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree with Bill. I usually get it going, put the meat on, and adjust the vents to what the past has taught me to set it at, and then I go to bed. If me or my wife has to get up overnight we check it, otherwise I don't do anything.

I've had long cooks with the wsm where it locked into a temp for 16+ hours that made me wonder why anyone would ever consider a guru. However, I have.

We just haven't had luck with overnights when it comes to comps. But I still can't justify the expense of a guru. so what to do?

I use to have a maverick, but I haven't used it in some time. Does anyone know if it has a high AND low alarm? I'd be happier, going to bed, knowing that I'll get a beep if the temps drop.

I normally don't use water, however I'm considering it for overnights. Does anybody who has done both, find that temps are more stable with a pan full of water and the vents opened up a bit more?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does anybody who has done both, find that temps are more stable with a pan full of water and the vents opened up a bit more? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, I do. It's the only time I use water (normally I go with a dry foiled pan) unless I'm doing something where I need a slow rise and low, stable temps, like bacon. For butts or chuck rolls or clods, the only cuts I do overnight, I use a Brinkmann pan. When the water level drops I usually leave it alone; I don't add or refill.

I have a Guru but haven't used it in ages.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
I use to have a maverick, but I haven't used it in some time. Does anyone know if it has a high AND low alarm? I'd be happier, going to bed, knowing that I'll get a beep if the temps drop.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The ET-73 does

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">anyone know if it has a high AND low alarm? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes it does.

I still use the ET-73 when I overnight ... for typical BBQ meat I set a low of 200ºF and a high of 300ºF. Inside that range I don't care and I'll deal with the cook in the morning, make a decision if I want to speed up or slow down based on dinner time.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I normally don't use water, however I'm considering it for overnights. Does anybody who has done both, find that temps are more stable with a pan full of water and the vents opened up a bit more? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes to both. Going waterless made a huge difference. You will use more fuel with water as well.

For me, a full Brinkmann pan and wide open vents meant often the WSM would settle in around 215º top grate. It didn't want to even get to 225º.

Taking the water away it would run about 250ºF. When I add my Guru jacket to the mix I get like 275ºF with the bottom vents open a sliver.

I find temps fluctuate more without water (to sit and watch the ET-73) but the meat has never once complained about it to me.
icon_smile.gif

For overnights I get lazy. I set up the BBQ Guru and get things going and steady and set the ET73 up to go off and wake me up if things go out of control. I found with the Guru I really haven't needed the ET73 insurance, but probably good practice anyway just in case.

When I am using briquettes, once I get stable temps for a couple of hours, I go to sleep, and sleep like a baby! I've had a few surprises when I woke up, but never anything disastrous. Briquettes always seem to cool as the night goes on. My theory on this is that once all the coals are alight, the ash coating thickens on the lit coals and the the coals burn cooler as O2 must find its way through the ash coating to support the combustion.

However, lump doesn't undergo this process. The ash coating on lump charcoal is much thinner than on briquettes. Oh, and I do use a remote thermometer with high and low alarms. It does sometimes go off when I am using only lump.

Cheers

To echo some other posters, the ET-73 has made a huge difference in my overnights. I usually get things going 2-3 hours before I am ready for bed. That gives me plenty of time to get things locked in.

Then I set the max and min smoker temps and the max meat temp, put the receive next to my bed and sleep deeply. I just did a 3 butt cook Friday night and slept uninterrupted from 12:30am - 7:30am. When I got up, the smallest but was about 5 degrees away from where I needed to start checking and all 3 butts came off within 2 hours of me waking up. Man, that was a clean cook.

Back