Overnight butts are underway

Kevin C.

TVWBB Member
Cooking two 7.5 lb. butts tonight. I put them on at exactly midnight. One is a modified Mr. Brown, and the other is Chris Lilly's injected butt recipe. This is my third overnight cook; hopefully I won't be as anxious tonight, and I'll get more than four hours of sleep! I plan to post pics later.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin C.:
Cooking two 7.5 lb. butts tonight. I put them on at exactly midnight. One is a modified Mr. Brown, and the other is Chris Lilly's injected butt recipe. This is my third overnight cook; hopefully I won't be as anxious tonight, and I'll get more than four hours of sleep! I plan to post pics later. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm thinking about making my next an overniter with a couple butt roasts also.

Looking forward to hearing how things go for you.

The cook went well, and the meat turned out good. The injected pork turned out a little salty, but still very good.

The pics are here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin C.:
The cook went well, and the meat turned out good. The injected pork turned out a little salty, but still very good.

The pics are here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for posting the pics! What did you think of the Mr Brown?? A little spicy for me at least for BBQ. I basted the butt twice as well which probably put it over the top.

This weekend im gonna smoke 4 butts and try two different recipes from this site. Will probably do them overnite like you. Did you wake up during the middle of the night or did you not worry about them until you woke up??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nate C:

Thanks for posting the pics! What did you think of the Mr Brown?? A little spicy for me at least for BBQ. I basted the butt twice as well which probably put it over the top.

This weekend im gonna smoke 4 butts and try two different recipes from this site. Will probably do them overnite like you. Did you wake up during the middle of the night or did you not worry about them until you woke up?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This was my second Mr. Brown cook. My first one was very spicy, IMO. On this cook, I halved the black pepper in the rub, and I only basted once. This one was much better, but still preety spicy if you got a decent-sized piece of the outer crust. I'm still experimenting/searching for a better recipe.

Once again, I only got about fours hours of sleep. My fault though....I didn't hit the sack until 3 AM....got caught up in watching temps and reading the forum. However, it didn't any help when my son and his sleep-over friend got up before 7 AM and got a little rowdy playing video games.
icon_mad.gif
That won't happen again....no video game before 9 AM now.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Comerford:
Kev, They look Great! Are you going to reduce the salt in the injection? I try to stay away from salt altogether. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Bill! I will definitely reduce the salt if I do this recipe again. Despite all of the sugar and apple juice in the recipe, I was disappointed in the absence or very little hint of any sweet flavor. The salt flavor definitely overtook any hope of a sweet taste.

Kevin,
If your looking for a different recipe I highly recommend this one.
Butt Rub For Jane:http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...0069052/m/9320063643
Since trying this I have never gone back. The nice thing is, if you can't get all the peppers then there are others that are interchangeable. The thread is a bit lengthy(sp?) but well worth the read and finished product.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Graz:
Kevin,
If your looking for a different recipe I highly recommend this one.
Butt Rub For Jane:http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...0069052/m/9320063643
Since trying this I have never gone back. The nice thing is, if you can't get all the peppers then there are others that are interchangeable. The thread is a bit lengthy(sp?) but well worth the read and finished product. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks J Graz. I'll have to try the Butt Rub for Jane next time. Did you use it as is? Is it real spicy?

Kevin,
The first time I made the rub I was not able to get the hot New Mexico chiles. So I replaced with a 50/50 mix of guajillo/pasilla(just what I had available by me), then I added some cayenne for heat. The second time I got the N. Mex's. to be honest they were both good. The chile's in this recipe are completely adjustable acording to taste. If you read through the thread you'll see a number of different chile's used to replace unavailable ones.

great job, looks delicious!

thanks for sharing.....I enjoyed the Mr. Brown recipe........my next butt cook is going to be Jane's rub

Back