Overnight Brisket

Weight?
It looks to me like it’s going to be a long wait, the little guy I did a couple of weeks ago went on at 20:00 and came off about 13:00 then, the long rest. Dinner was about 17:00 great party!

Looks like it is going to be amazing, I love the amount of rub on that piece, I know it can take it and the bark will be outstanding. Cooking it at 225 is fine but no doubt will take forever.
Personally I don't believe the 225 is a requirement......while for sure it does seem to make a nice looking piece of meat at the end and super juicy too........
Franklin and I could be wrong but if I remember right does his briskets at 280. I don't own his books or anything but I though I seen that somewhere one time.
I also have never eaten his food, but he does seem to kind of have a following.
I also don't want to cook a piece of meat for 20 hours.
I can start just before dusk and even get some rest in and eat by 7 if I cook on a higher heat.....
Let us know on that Meat church, I had both of those and eventually gave them away to beginners I know just getting into it.
I was led to believe that the holy cow was basically the holy gospel just with a higher ratio of black pepper as the customer base was asking for and adding more pepper when they used the gospel for the beef cooks.

P.S. that beef looks killer good in raw form,

You are correct about the Holy Cow/Gospel. I usually do 250, til wrap then 275-300, til done. Just wanted to do this one as my first really slow and low. It’s been at 155 for a couple hours now. I just took it off and wrapped in foil. I started it at around 9:30pm last night. It’s 7:05am right now. I’ll watch it good for a couple few hours. We shouldn’t eat til around 6-7 this evening, so it should be fine.
I bought a 5 pack of the meat church seisanings plus added a second Holy Cow and one called Deez Nuts. My favorite meat church seasoning so far is the Holy Voodoo. It’s really good with a slight heat. Love it.89B521DC-B173-4A5A-BE8E-1C1D699E5699.jpeg2114E795-F633-4FEC-BF5C-47CA1ADE0065.jpeg39EB5183-5961-40D9-9B7F-BDB62158A835.jpeg

Weight?
It looks to me like it’s going to be a long wait, the little guy I did a couple of weeks ago went on at 20:00 and came off about 13:00 then, the long rest. Dinner was about 17:00 great party!
Before trim was 16.9 lbs. didn’t weigh after trim, but I’d say it avoid 15lbs. Had a lot of icky looking brown stuff on the edges, and a little too much nasty fat.

Looks great, I always second guess myself when I see bark like yours.....I think it needs to be more before I wrap and sometimes leave it until it pulls through the stall to around 175.......which again moves faster at the higher heat. It never does because the wrap works well for me. I wrap with paper and that bark I see in your pics will turn a lot more wrapped in paper, I forget what the foil will produce, it's been a while.
Anyways you are hours away, can't wait to see the final product......and that clear juicy goodness that squirts out and runs all down the meat when you push down on it.....

Foil kind of steams it some so the “bark” isn’t quite as crunchy/crispy…but I’m good with that. I can’t wait either….I’ve seen a few things where it’s opened up the last hour or two to, but it’s going in an ice chest for 2-3 hours after it’s done.

I learned a little trick from a fellow a while back.....
Once the brisket would hit the stall I would melt some leftover frozen tallow I would keep on hand.
I would set the brisket in the paper and make sure I got enough on the brisket.
Wrap immediately and get back on the grill.
When the brisket would be finished the paper might as well be paper towels or a sponge because every inch of the paper would be soaking in the fat from the tallow and the fat from the brisket.
It puts a smile on your face when you unwrap a dripping wet piece of paper and see what is inside.

but it’s going in an ice chest for 2-3 hours after it’s done.
do you find that it keeps cooking in a closed cooler? i've always left it in an aluminum tray, barely vented, with a towel on the bottom and top of the tray to let the meat rest and down-temp. i've been concerned that the cooler will trap too much heat and turn it to mush as it "cools" in the cooler. curious of your perspective/experience on this.

That’s a very nice looking cook while I keep mine in the cooler for about two hours with a drain plug open in the top lid vented a little bit so it doesn’t get too hot let cool down

do you find that it keeps cooking in a closed cooler? i've always left it in an aluminum tray, barely vented, with a towel on the bottom and top of the tray to let the meat rest and down-temp. i've been concerned that the cooler will trap too much heat and turn it to mush as it "cools" in the cooler. curious of your perspective/experience on this.
I use one of those thick coleman coolers.
I stick the finished product still wrapped in the paper in an aluminum tray, large lasagna to be exact.
Wrap that tight in foil after cooking wrapped in paper all day.
Put a towel on the bottom of the cooler put the tray in and then put 2 towels on top.
This prevents any leaks and the MRS from shooting you because all here towels are now covered in grease.
Close the cooler and close everything tight.
I have never measured but I think I read if your beef is 205 and done it will hold it around that 175 eventually and for a long time.
I have done 4 hours before and I was at a buddies place and we put brisket in the cooler and then went on a canoe river cruise for around 6 hours.
It was still hot...mine comes out steaming still after 3 hours...too hot for the hands.
All it does is keep rendering fat without cooking it.
Based on my experience it doesn't change the quality of the meat / cook enough I notice anything negative about it.
I would never not do it with any large brisket / shoulder / beef rib style of cook.
That feeling when you cut the brisket and clear juice comes pouring out of it......
Would recommend.
I also would recommend wrapping in paper, I use to use foil years ago, tried paper, loved it never went back.

Back