Overnight Brisket Cook w/follow up questions.

Art R

TVWBB Super Fan
Last Friday night about 9:00 p.m. I placed a 14 lb. packer on the WSM for an overnight cook.

I had prepped the brisket by trimming some, not all, of the fat; wetting the brisket with worcesteshire sauce; and moderately sprinkling with a texas style rub (no sugar). Used Royal Oak briquettes and 5 chunks of hickory, a handful of chips too from dregs of last bag.

I checked the temps a few times before going to bed at Midnight. At 8:00 a.m. the cooker was still at 240 lid temp. I flipped the meat from fat side down to fat side up. Temp was around 180 in the point and flat.

I used a bit more worcesteshire sauce on the up side and let it cook for 3 more hours. I pulled it off with a flat temp of 192. Foiled it several times and put it into a prewarmed oven to hold.

The oven was on warm for a couple of hours because I forgot to turn it off. I think that warm is below 200 since that is the next setting up from warm. I did turn it off after 2 hours and it rested for 2 more hours before I sliced some of it for tasting.

It tasted GREAT. Very tender, nice bark. Color had me worried as it was almost all black. Thought the WSM might have gotten too hot overnight (no remote thermo here) and it might be too dry. It was not.

Questions:

1. The bark was almost all black. Not charred to a crisp, but dark. Is that right? Photos posted by Chris and others don't seem so black.

2. Did leaving it in the oven on "warm" change the outcome versus leaving in a pre warmed oven?

Thanks for any comments. Q-on!

Art, 1) That's pretty common for the bark to get pretty dark/black. If you look at the finnished Mr Brown pics in the cooking section they are dark. Alot of my butts and brisket get very dark. Like the one signature here says> "it ain't burnt it's bark"
2) You pulled the Brisket at 192 and if your oven on warm is under 200 i think it would have a minimal effect on the meat outcome since your oven temp was lower than the meat temp. Meaning it was not continuing to cook it.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks. That is exactly what I was hoping I'd hear. I guess I left out the brisket was unbelievably delicious and tender. I loved it and want to try it again. Hopefully, I can do it the same way.

Art

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Art R:
Thanks. That is exactly what I was hoping I'd hear. I guess I left out the brisket was unbelievably delicious and tender. I loved it and want to try it again. Hopefully, I can do it the same way.

Art </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Art, Write down your exact steps while they are fresh in your mind.
icon_smile.gif

Back