Over night butt smoke with ribs tomorrow....

Vince B

TVWBB Pro
Well I decided the other day I wanted to do some BB ribs for a Sunday dinner. Had a long day today sitting in a transmission seminar for work. Then it hit me....how about making some butts tonight for PP for a couple lunch's for the week. Figured it would be nice for the crew at work and what we did not eat I could freeze.

So I get home after a few adult pops in the bar after a long day and decide lets see if the local store has any specials. I go on line and they have pork shoulders and butts on sale for $1.99 a lb. Tell the wife and she says lets do it! I'm like cool let me check to see if I have enough to put a rub together. I realize I need a few things and one of the markets here has the spices for dirt cheap.

So we head there to pick up what I need and then we were going to head over to the other store to get my butts. While we were at the first store I say "lets see what they have while we are here." We walk over to the meat department and see that they butts for a $1.39 a lb. They all are smaller but to the point to where I could get 4 and smoke them up. All of which weight around 4-4.5 lbs. Little small for what I would normally do but I figure why not while we are here.

So I pick up 4 of them and we head home with my bargain spices and butts. I pull them from the packages and find that the bottom of these cuts still have the skin on them with a layer of fat. I'm what the &*^$! OK well no turning back now.

I trim them up and now I'm thinking that these are now much much smaller than I would normally do. Oh well game on. I get my rub tossed together and then go fire up a chimney with 15 coals. I'm using K with some hickory stuffed in the coals using a minion start with a coffee can in the middle of the unlit coals. I take about a half dozen small pieces of wood(just larger than a golf ball) and mix them in with the K. This way they will lite as the coals lite is what I'm figuring. I take one big chunk (fist size) and put it in the bottom of the can. Drop the lit coals on top it in the coffee can and then remove the bottomless can. I then take two more fist size chunks and lay them on top. Quickly I assemble the smoker and 10 minutes later this thing is smoking like nuts. Hoping I didn't over do it with the wood.

Go inside and get the butts rubbed up. Then when the temps are close to 250* on they go. Two of which seemed smaller after trimming so I put those on the lower grate and put the larger ones on top. The temps seemed to drop to about 225* when I put them on with the clay pot in the foiled water pan. After about an hour the smoke seemed to mellow out so I think I'm good with the temp at 250*. I'm now almost 3 hrs into this and I'm thinking that I will definitely be removing these earlier than I planned. Going to stick my remote thermometer in there in a bit and crash until it goes off.

It's kind of cool up here in the upper 40's tonight with light showers scheduled. Wind is about 10-15mph. What was I thinking when I started this? LOL Oh well I have to see how this goes down. Temps at the lid are about 265* with all lower vents closed since I started. Might crack them just a bit before closing my eyes and see what happens. What the worse that can happen? I wreck $25 worth of baby butts! Going to go rub my ribs and wrap them in some saran wrap for when the butts come off. Here are some pic's of the cook so far.

DSCF0004-5.jpg

DSCF0006-5.jpg

DSCF0009-4.jpg

DSCF0015-3.jpg

DSCF0013-4.jpg

Wish me luck. Vince

EDIT!
Originally posted by Mike Stevenson:
Luck. Look up paragraph.
Thank you MR Stevenson and MR cheapcharlie! AKA "Teacher Stevenson and Teacher Cheapcharlie"....see post below.
mockery-0561.gif

Very good luck - looks like some good pieces of meat there. I'm doing a picnic and a butt myself tonight. Just got in from putting them on the smoker.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Stevenson:
Greg,

Have you ever been to Pampanga in the Phills? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You mean that city where all the angels are? I may have flown in there a couple of times.
icon_wink.gif

And you?

edit - apologies to Vince for being off-topic and hi-jacking this thread. Where is that pm function anyway?
icon_biggrin.gif

LOL Spell check and a PM function would be nice! Thanks for the back to school lesson guys. I have to tell you when I was typing last night I had been up for over 20 hrs. I thought that as well after the fact but was just to tired to care! Fixed it for you. In the future I will try that for you vision impaired guys! BACKONTOPIC!
cool-21.gif

Well I got up at 3:00am and everything looked good. Temps holding in the 265* range and the one butt I had a thermometer registered about 155*. At this point the lower vents were still completely closed and it was still pretty windy here. Good thing was the rain stopped. Figured I was pretty good. At which point I went back to bed.

I got up this morning at 6:30 am. My remote said the temps of the meat was at 170*. I then went outside to check the cooker temps. My candy thermometer said I was at 250* lid temp. Opened up the door to see how the coals looked and they were still going but had quite a bit of ash.

I then grabbed my cooking gloves and a pair of tongs to stir. Removed the center section along with the lid as one piece and set them aside. Quickly I took the tongs and stirred the coals allowing the ash to fall to the bottom of the lower section. Then reassembled the cooker. Cracked the lower vents a bit to get the coals some air. Seemed to work well and the temps went back up to 265*.

Took the door off to install a second thermometer in one of the butts on the lower rack. Currently the temps of the butts on the top and bottom are at 180*. With about 12 hours into the cook, things are looking good! I really thought that these would be done sooner because of the size. I guess in this case size doesn't matter!

Now I am going to go get the two slabs of ribs prepped and rubbed. This way when the butts are done they will be ready to go on. I just did not have it in me last night to do it as planned. I have done it the night before and also right before. SO I guess I will be doing the couple of hours before this time around.

Figured I would take the coals and rotate them with fresh on the bottom. Basically using the lit to light the unlit for the ribs. I plan to use the Smokey Joe to store the lit coals as I pick through them and remove the ash from the cooker. Then replace the coals as mentioned above. This should work for another 6 hours for the BB's is what I am hoping.

I have been taking pictures as I have been removing the lid here and there. I will post them when I go to put the ribs on here in a couple hours. This cook definitely was not what I was expecting because of the size of the cuts. Seems to be working so I'm just going to roll with it. I'll post back later. Vince B

EDIT I have not been able to get the pictures up loaded. Will try to do it tonight. Vince

Back