Over flowing water pan

Joey K

TVWBB Member
Hey guys, I was doing a cooking contest for my work and wanted to go with pulled pork. I chickened out at the last minute and didn't use the WSM (don't stone me I'm a n00b
icon_razz.gif
), and just threw the butts into a roaster we have.

I ended up with about 25 lbs of butts (4 shoulders), set the temp at 250 and left them for about 9 hrs. (the meat was great, more on that later). The one thing though my wife called me after a few hours and said that the roaster was very full of fluid and wondered if she should drain some off. I gave her the go ahead because I didn't want the meat to stew (still don't know if that was the right choice or not). Anyways we drained off a 2 lb emtpy bucket of yogurt, a 20 oz bottle, and a 12 oz can of fat and liquid over the 9 hour cook time.

So my real question is, has anyone done this much pork in the WSM (I think it would have fit) and if so have you ever had any trouble with the drippings overflowing the water pan?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joey K:
Hey guys, I was doing a cooking contest for my work and wanted to go with pulled pork. I chickened out at the last minute and didn't use the WSM (don't stone me I'm a n00b
icon_razz.gif
), and just threw the butts into a roaster we have.

I ended up with about 25 lbs of butts (4 shoulders), set the temp at 250 and left them for about 9 hrs. (the meat was great, more on that later). The one thing though my wife called me after a few hours and said that the roaster was very full of fluid and wondered if she should drain some off. I gave her the go ahead because I didn't want the meat to stew (still don't know if that was the right choice or not). Anyways we drained off a 2 lb emtpy bucket of yogurt, a 20 oz bottle, and a 12 oz can of fat and liquid over the 9 hour cook time.

So my real question is, has anyone done this much pork in the WSM (I think it would have fit) and if so have you ever had any trouble with the drippings overflowing the water pan? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes the WSM will hold that much meat, actually twice that much. I've done 6 butts on my WSM on several occassions.

I use 2 firebricks in my water pan that take up about half the space of the pan and have never had an issue with grease overflowing. You should not either, unless you use water and put too much in to begin with. Most of the drippings will burn/evaporate off during the cook.

As Larry said alot of what you collected in the roaster (crock pot?) will be evaporated off in the WSM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:

..... grease overflowing........ use water and put too much in to begin with......... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya' just had to remind me, didn't you?

Been there, done that, not pretty!
icon_frown.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_frown.gif

JimT

Back