Oven Pulled Pork ?

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
Has anyone tried doing their pulled pork in the oven? If so, how did it come out? I realize it is'nt smoked but with a rub on it I think the flavor would still be there. Any thoughts or recipes? The reason why I am asking is because I ran out of charcoal and I want to cook a butt today.

They're not the same but work fine - as long as you're not looking for the same thing.

Make your rub of choice. If you wish, add a hefty dose of pimentón, chipotle, or other smoked chile. Rub, then roast at 300? till very tender. Expect 5-8 hours, depending on butt size (longer if the butt is particularly large.). When very tender, remove, rest, pull.

It will pull just fine as long as it's cooked enough but the bark won't be the same.

It won't be smoked of course and no amount of liquid smoke or smoked salt will make it the same. If you were to use one or the other I'd go with the smoked salt.

If you have a rack that will fit your roasting pan and will elevate the butt so the bottom doesn't sit in the drippings you might want to use it.

Aloha Dave... I make an "oven version" of kalua pork. The traditional way to kalua is to cook the food in an underground pit. Just chunk the butt into large 4"x4"x4" cubes, season with sea salt and several Tbsp of "liquid smoke", place in an roasting pan and cover with foil. Cook in a 350 deg oven for 4 hours or more until the meat falls apart.

If you prefer you can season with your favorite rub. You could also use an electric roaster oven or an electric slow cooker. I know this isn't the "real thing" but it will do in a pinch. Good luck...

joe

Here's what I did. It's a small 3 lb. butt.
I salted then rubbed it generously with my rub which has mostly alleppo,ancho and arbol chilli powder with some other spices mixed in. Then I put it in a 225 dgree oven on a cookie cooling rack over an aluminum pan to keep it out of the juices. That was at 10:30 so it will be ready for dinner.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">add a hefty dose of pimentón, chipotle, or other smoked chile </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think that's a great idea Kevin. I know some folks use liquid smoke (I have no problem with that theoretically) but I can never get the taste of that stuff out of my mouth. It lingers forever. Smoked chilies would add some smoke flavor I could happily live with.

I am totally in agreement. I can't stand the stuff. It always seems to be or be verging on acrid. Smoked chilies, on the other hand, offer smoke and chile flavor that never seems at all unpleasant to me, no matter what the quantity. I use smoked chile in sauce, when I want a smoky flavor to it (along with rested meat juices), and to sprinkle on quickly cooked grilled items that are not likely to be in smoke long enough to really pick up much smoke flavor.

Dave, I've had to finish my butts in an oven because I ran out of charcoal. Of course,they were partially cooked on the smoker to begin with but nobody could taste any difference that they weren't completely done on the smoker. Plus, I put a sauce on mine when it's done. If I was going to do it completely in the oven I would probably set the oven at about 260-270 to help set the bark. It may cook a quicker in the oven because the area is sealed better. Good luck
icon_smile.gif

I just want to let you know the butt came out really good. Of course it wasn't "smoked" but it was very juicey and tasted wonderful with the rub. The only thing that freaked me out was it took almost nine hours to cook
icon_eek.gif
. I thought for sure it was going to be dry but it wasn't. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Feel free to cook at higher temps which will shorten the cook.

Glad it worked out well for you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Feel free to cook at higher temps which will shorten the cook.

Glad it worked out well for you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The last couple of hours I brought the temperature up to 275 to speed it up. Next time I'll do the whole cook higher.

Back