Outdoor Temperature and Propane Tank Fuel Level Reading

John_NJ

TVWBB Wizard
I bought a propane tank fuel gauge at Lowes during the Summer, and tonight when grilling, The gauge was reading almost empty.

I switched to a brand new blue rhino tank, and again the gauge read very low, borderline empty.

The propane tank felt full.

Outside temperature was in the 40’s.

Would colder temperatures cause the tank to have less pressure/ read empty?

Either that or the gauge doesn't like the cold outside temps, maybe both.
The gauge isn’t really that great.

I noticed during some summer cooks it would go from lower green “ok” to running out of propane mid cook.

I didn’t want that to happen with the burgers so I switched out the tank before cooking.

I was surprised it read so low, being a brand new tank.

I just went outside and opened up the tank and took a picture of what the brand new tank is reading.

Maybe I’ll switch to another brand new one tomorrow and see what it reads.

659D1C03-461C-478A-8AAC-A3EC0745AEE6.jpeg

It's not so much that it's made in China it's just that you can't measure liquid level in the tank using pressure
The Weber tank scale was pretty accurate at one time.

I will probably just tune that up as it’s reading based on tank weight, not “liquid level”.

Thanks guys.

I don’t really understand how that tank gauge would work the same for everyone since temperature appears the affect pressure.

So it looks like weight is the only measure

20lb tank

Attachments

• BB6429E2-61D2-41E5-88FC-E3EC575261F5.png
    BB6429E2-61D2-41E5-88FC-E3EC575261F5.png
    327.1 KB · Views: 10
When I was using LP, I took an empty tank and set it on the scale on my grill. I then set to spring tension to read "empty". Now once you put a full one on there, it doesn't matter what "full" reads as long as Empty reads Empty. I got it pretty darn close. Every tank I have ever looked at BTW is marked with a tare weight of 14.5lb so you could even set it up to read empty wherever you like by using different weights. The key is also to make sure the scale moves freely

I just use the old tried and true method to gauge LP level. I shake the can. Yah, not real convenient, but I always have a full spare on hand if I do run out. On short cooks, like burgers, I am usually near the grill checking the burgers so I will know quick if I run out. If I am on long cooks, such as ribs, I use my Thermoworks Smoke remote thermometer to monitor the meat team as well as the grill internal temp. THat alerts me real quick if temps start dropping. If I need to swap the tank mid cook, it only takes a couple minutes max.

I got a tank a couple years back that had a scale on it. It was different than the one you have. It did not fit into the tank at all. It simply was fastened to the outside of the nozzle with a plastic band. I thought, WTH? How can that measure the LP level. I was amazed when I picked up the tank that it varied the tank level measurement quit well. It even fluctuated as I shook the tank. Don't ask me how.

I just use the old tried and true method to gauge LP level. I shake the can. Yah, not real convenient, but I always have a full spare on hand if I do run out. On short cooks, like burgers, I am usually near the grill checking the burgers so I will know quick if I run out. If I am on long cooks, such as ribs, I use my Thermoworks Smoke remote thermometer to monitor the meat team as well as the grill internal temp. THat alerts me real quick if temps start dropping. If I need to swap the tank mid cook, it only takes a couple minutes max.

I got a tank a couple years back that had a scale on it. It was different than the one you have. It did not fit into the tank at all. It simply was fastened to the outside of the nozzle with a plastic band. I thought, WTH? How can that measure the LP level. I was amazed when I picked up the tank that it varied the tank level measurement quit well. It even fluctuated as I shook the tank. Don't ask me how.
Those work by temperature differential and can be fairly accurate

I keep the tank secured to the scale hook, so giving it a shake/ lift isn’t that practical.

I did use the Weber tank scale gauge for many years and found it helpful overall, but still haven’t re calibrated it after the renovation last spring.

So that is what I am going to do as soon as I have one of my tanks actually empty.

That Lowes fuel “gauge” really was not that reliable, and it’s just another connection point that could potentially leaks propane.

Thanks again everyone, as always an education.

The best set up is to have two tanks, so you always have a full spare. And then get your tanks filled at a place where they charge by the gallon. Like filling up your car gas tank.

That allows a cheapskate to swap the tank whenever it gets kinda low. No need to try to figure with guages exactly how much is left. And whether you can squeek out one more cook and then have an emptier tank when you exchange.

Under that set up, the grill tank scale is more than accurate enough.

A little-known fact to most folks but, if it weren't highly flammable, LPG would make a great refrigerant, due to how much temperature influences its pressure. This makes pressure a poor way to measure how much is in the tank. One thing you can depend on though is that once all of the liquid has been exhausted and gas is all that remains, the pressure will take a nose-dive, regardless of temperature. Unfortunately, that's not an early enough warning to keep you from running out of gas before the cook is over. Weighing the tank is the most reliable method. Even better is keeping a full tank as backup.

Last edited:
Nice to know. The freon in my camper fridge all leaked out. I will just pump some LP gas in there. o_O

Back