Outdoor kitchen design?

Eric-NH

TVWBB Pro
Decided I need a second deck just for cooking 😂
What's everyone have for grilling/barbequing areas? We have a porch with a 12x12 deck off of it. I've basically filled that right up and it leaves nearly no room for sitting, hence the planned expansion. This is my current thought for the new cook deck. I might include a small sink as well

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230901-080633.png
    Screenshot_20230901-080633.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 37
Yeah, I really wish I had expanded my deck when I rebuilt it a few years ago. It's 12x14 and with the Wolf, the Q320, Big Z, the Weber Flame and a small table. Just enough room for a couple zero gravity recliners, and my 32" TV to go on the table to enjoy a nice evening

Someone dumped a huge rabbit hutch on a vacant lot next door to a friend several years ago. Told Miriam I was going to bring it home and raise some rabbits for slaughter. She put the nix on that. After being raised on a farm and having her dad slaughter several critters she considered to be pets, she's still not come around to the point of raising animals as a good food source. Man, I love a good rabbit stew or a nice one cooked over a mild wood fire.

We also have to start with the basics - How big is your yard and what does it look like? Goals? What will zoning let you do? Budget? Electric? Water? NG? DIY?

I went 2’ wider when I built mine, no 10’ 2x10’s (Covid) so my wife has filled the extra footage with plants! So, I didn’t really gain a thing but, I don’t have the grills up there. It was never really part of the plan anyway but, it would have been even more convenient.
I’ll post a shot of the party layout, if I remember, on Sunday! This is going to require 5 grills!
Oops., I forgot my deck turned out 12x16 and it’s quite comfortable, as a deck.

Last edited:
We've got a boatload of concrete in the back yead. Room for a class A motorhome and 2 full size cars, so space for cookers isn't a problem. The old Grillzebo shelters my 2 kettles, the big gasser and the Traeger but getting tired of shuffling them around every time I cook. Maybe I could clean out one of the sheds and roll the kettles in there when not in use.

Last edited:
Can you list the grills and smokers you have, and future plans?
I currently have a summit 420, 650, Genesis gold c, and performer. I also made a prep table cart out of an old Genesis frame. Trying to upload pics, but it keeps saying they "aren't pictures as expected" or something of the sort..

We also have to start with the basics - How big is your yard and what does it look like? Goals? What will zoning let you do? Budget? Electric? Water? NG? DIY?
When I get home I'll take pictures of the area. I believe a 12x14 deck will fit fine. Zoning is a non issue. Will build myself. Other than the lumber, I believe there aren't really any other costs. Looking for ideas so I can then decide what else needs to be there. Water and electric can be easily brought to the area

Oh, and I plan to run a line from the propane the house has out to the 650 at least. I anticipate that thing being THIRSTY

If done properly, there is a lot more material then just lumber costs, your not even scratching the surface regarding material costs.

https://www.bbqguys.com/outdoor-kitchens
I guess I should say that I'm calling my grilling area my outdoor kitchen, as I'll have a 6 burner, 4 burner, 3 burner, 3 side burgers for pots, and the charcoal for smoking, slow cooks, and it had the pizza oven attachment. So I'm my mind, basically a kitchen. I can do the gas line and plumbing myself. I can do the deck construction myself. I can do the landscaping myself. I even already have a small sink

Here is the current deck, without the as of yet unfinished 650 on it. Obviously no room. I want to have a few steps down behind where I have the prep table now that lead to the new deck. I'll call it the lower cook deck. As you can see, plenty of room for activities. I'll have the deck just above the stone wall.

Attachments

• 1000003604.jpg
    1000003604.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 1000003602.jpg
    1000003602.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 1000003607.jpg
    1000003607.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 1000003605.jpg
    1000003605.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 1000003606.jpg
    1000003606.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for providing the pictures. The house looks nice, and by that I mean that I wouldn't build on to it willy-nilly. I would spend a bunch of time planning. I see what I'll call the sun room appears to be added to the existing house, and the existing deck appears to be added on to that. Some thoughts now are the sun exposure and also what rooms your proposed deck extension would adjoin. Another possibility would be wrapping around the sun room. You could do one level or more.

Back