Out of the Charcoal Loop

Brad H.

TVWBB Fan
On here since June of 2005... but haven't smoked anything since 2011 (around then)...so I've been out of the loop and ready to fire up my WSM. Back then Kingsford was old reliable and it would just go and go and go...no overnight worries...until.....the formula change. (To me the change was frustrating...like New Coke...for those of you that remember that debacle.)

Over the years...has KBB circled back to being the old reliable I started with in '05? Or has it just adjusted a bit for the low and slow crowd over those years? Or is it still the "New Coke" variety?

Brad,
I am with Doug for smoking I don't like lump, I like KBB and I really really like Weber Briquettes. I can not find Weber local so I buy it online at ABT, three bags or more and it is free shipping. I use the Weber for longer cooks (ribs and shoulders and such) and the KBB for short cooks or cooks without the water pan. The Weber burn hooter and longer then any product I have used.
Michael

I subscribe to the “use Weber for longer cooks” and use Kingsford Pro or Comp or whatever they are calling it now for everyday grilling. I think it was discussed here as well that Weber closed out their briquette this spring and will be ceasing distribution. So I bought 15 bags. Some for as low as 5.99.

Welcome back, Brad. I was a Coke drinker when New Coke arrived and it messed me up, lol. But I've only been smoking for 4 years and I've only used KBB, so I am not wise to any formula change.

While you await users' feedback you might find useful this topic by Chris. In the end, he shares why KBB is his preference: https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/all-about-charcoal/#briquette

And this (though others will need to advise if all of the products used in the comparison are still available: https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/kingsford-long-burning-weber-hardwood-charcoal-burn-test-2017/

Happy smoking!

After 20 years I've moved past the KBB original and competition versions to B&B. I would try the Weber if I could get it here for a good price but all varieties of B&B have really impressed me for both hot/fast and low/slow.

P.S. I'm an "old coke" guy but I do like the new orange coke!

I hadn't thought about the Kingsford reformulation in a long time. Thanks for making me re-experience the trauma :p

I've been using the Kingsford professional recipe briquets lately, but I'm fine with the regular Kingsford when I get it on good sale.

Just throw some kbb in the smoker and enjoy yourself. Call me crazy, but the stuff is still sold everywhere, and I for the most part, the standard by which all others are judged; some better, some worse. Go Get a bag or 2, try it and see....have I tried a few other types of charcoal? Sure. But in the end, the minimal difference in longevity wasn’t worth the hassle or price difference to me. which brand you choose, welcome back, Relax, enjoy yourself, and post pic!
Tim

Brad, I don't think today's KBB lasts as long as the pre-2006 stuff, over several iterations they increased the amount of wood char and reduced the amount of coal. That appeals to many consumers., but affects performance during very long cooks. Still, it's hard to beat on a per pound basis when it goes on sale during holidays, but we didn't get a good price this year for Memorial Day. Maybe July 4.

Back