Out of Rancher :(

Ed Rosenberger

TVWBB Member
Well, I am out of Rancher and am using Kingford again. I cooked 2 butts Sunday night into Monday afternoon. I had a little rancher left but I had to fill over a half of a ring with Kingsford. It seems to me that Kingsford has more ash than Rancher.I have been using a smoker for just under 2 years so I am new at this. Is there any other briquettes(sp) that I can use which produces less ash than Kingsford?. Keep in mind that I live in NJ and it is the off season(for most people) for grilling/smoking.

Cheers,
Ed
Weber Silver C
WSM

I have two more bags left from when I stocked up when the bags were $2.99. I wish I had bought more as now I am dreading going back to Kingsford.

As you probably know briquettes contain starch and lime..just starch in the case of rancher..this constitutes the majority of ash..use lump which has virtually no ash

Aw, I really hate seeing you guys going through Rancher withdrawal (
icon_wink.gif
) since I was never able to find any when it was on the market.

You might ease your pain by trying a bag of a good quality lump charcoal...

Man I hate to rub it in
icon_wink.gif
icon_wink.gif
but I just went and grabbed another bag out of stock. I didn't count but I estimate about 35 bags. I haven't been doing as much smokin as usual. I did have a nice stock pile though. I don't remember anymore how many bags I had, but was somewhere around 55-60 bags.

I feel your pain though. It has been lurking in the back of my mind about when I run out of rancher. That may seem like a lot but when the BBQ shack fires back up I use 2-3 bags a week. I know about lump and when I don't have rancher I use about half of a 20# bag of Royal Oak as well as K. I cook butts during the week for the business to use for the weekend and need the consistent burns that briquettes provide. Using K I would use a full bag I would leave late in the evening and on the way to work I have to stop in and knock the ash down and add more K. I use a full bag of Rancher on the cooks and I went home in the evening and went to work then at noon when I go to take off the butts the smoker is still chugging away at 250°. The ash doesn't clump up on the grate like K does. Actually when using K, in the morning the temperature was usually in the 190°-200° range. Rancher was like a rock til noon. I am really hoping that another chain will pick up rancher so I don't have to go back to the way it used to be.
icon_frown.gif
I didn't really see any point in buying lump after using rancher but will be going back when the rancher runs out.

some complain about the ash rising to their food. When I stir/poke the K so the fire doesn't smother I get way more ash floating than the rancher puts out. Where you get into trouble using rancher is pulling the lid off quickly and creating a slight vacuum and disturbing the ash in the bowl and on the charcoal. The ash is very fine and light and the heat carries it up. I usually only pull my lid twice on a butt cook. That ash being light falls easily and doesn't collect on the grate smothering the fire. Making it so I don't have to stop in the morning if I don't want to.

Ed, No reason to be down about the rancher..... Now you can try out the good stuff!!! http://www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com

I had a few bags of Rancher and I love the way it cooks. Being in the northeast region like you Rancher is not stocked for our convienence in stores. So after alot of research and chatting with numerous people this is the way to go.

Wish I could find WGC around here. Their website says Sutter Home&hearth carries it, but an email to SH&H has gone unanswered. Guess I could pick up the phone...
icon_rolleyes.gif
Anyone around here found Wicked Good for sale? I'd love to give it a try.
Steve

Steve you can order directly from WGC and they will ship to your door step. Shipping costs to WA maybe more than the bag itself.

Ed, Frank, and others on the East Coast Give Humphrey's a call and ask where the closest distributor is located in your area, they are based in Western PA. The last time I talked to them which was about 3 years ago they said that their lump is available in most states in the Mid Atlantic, Northeast states and as far down as the Carolinas. Hump Lump (814) 849-2302
The last time I bought some it ran me $17.00 for a 40lb bag. I'm on my last bag so I'll be getting some more soon. HTH
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed Rosenberger:
Well, I am out of Rancher and am using Kingford again. I cooked 2 butts Sunday night into Monday afternoon. I had a little rancher left but I had to fill over a half of a ring with Kingsford. It seems to me that Kingsford has more ash than Rancher.I have been using a smoker for just under 2 years so I am new at this. Is there any other briquettes(sp) that I can use which produces less ash than Kingsford?. Keep in mind that I live in NJ and it is the off season(for most people) for grilling/smoking.

Cheers,
Ed
Weber Silver C
WSM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have about 30 or more bags of rancer for sale and live on the eastern shore of maryland

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Ed, Frank, and others on the East Coast Give Humphrey's a call and ask where the closest distributor is located in your area, they are based in Western PA. The last time I talked to them which was about 3 years ago they said that their lump is available in most states in the Mid Atlantic, Northeast states and as far down as the Carolinas. Hump Lump (814) 849-2302
The last time I bought some it ran me $17.00 for a 40lb bag. I'm on my last bag so I'll be getting some more soon. HTH
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I emailed them. They don't have a distributor in the Boston area. Wanted $49 for 40 lbs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
I emailed them. They don't have a distributor in the Boston area. Wanted $49 for 40 lbs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dave, Boston area = Wicked Good. Link for you.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Z:
Wish I could find WGC around here. Their website says Sutter Home&hearth carries it, but an email to SH&H has gone unanswered. Guess I could pick up the phone...
icon_rolleyes.gif
Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve- Try Fireside in Kent or Bellevue for Wicked Good Lump or Briqs, I got mine at the PNW Eggfest from them. The last time I was at Sutters in Woodinville they only carried BGE lump. Ask for Jim if you call, he's into Low n' Slow cooking and very helpful! AEG is the BGE distributor and one of the sponsors of the Eggfest last year, they may have a line too, I talked to the owner and he was exploring lump options.

[/QUOTE]
Dave, Boston area = Wicked Good. Link for you.
icon_biggrin.gif
[/QUOTE]
Yes, thanks Bryan. I've seen their website and checked out the locations on their Mass list of retailers. Problem is the retailers charge $20 vs about $13 if I order lump direct from the site. So the difference takes care of the shipping and it comes to my door. I've ordered 3 times from WG and I like their product. Quick delivery too. Thanks again

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Moriarty:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Z:
icon_rolleyes.gif
Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Brian.
I'll check out one of the Fireside stores.
Steve

Steve- Try Fireside in Kent or Bellevue for Wicked Good Lump or Briqs, I got mine at the PNW Eggfest from them. The last time I was at Sutters in Woodinville they only carried BGE lump. Ask for Jim if you call, he's into Low n' Slow cooking and very helpful! AEG is the BGE distributor and one of the sponsors of the Eggfest last year, they may have a line too, I talked to the owner and he was exploring lump options. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As usual this board is right on time. I am looking to unwrap my bullets for a BBQ this weekend and just placed an order for 4 bags of the wicked good briquettes.

Thanks!

Back