OTS - How to plug up the slots?

Howard Warren

TVWBB Fan
This is a follow-up to a previous thread I started involving a "free" Weber OTS. I've started cleaning up the kettle, and I'm thinking of buying another Cajun Bandit extender and making this kettle into a full-time smoker. In the photo below, I've hosed down the interior and applied a coat of oven cleaner. Obviously it will need more cleaning, but it's too cold to go to a car wash today!

DSCN1332.JPG

As you can see, the one-touch cleaning system has totally deteriorated. Vanes are gone and the hub is rusted. One option is to try and find the 1997 one-touch kit and rebuild it, but if I want this to become a smoker, why not just block up the slots? If I can block the slots, I can drill holes to put in a WSM damper kit for better air control.

So I'm looking for a solution that:
  • Is cheap.
  • Available at a hardware store like Home Despot.
  • Is cheap.
  • Moderately easy. I'm decent with handyman tasks, but welding is out of my skill set!
  • Is cheap.
  • Is non-poisonous!
  • Is cheap. I can buy a new OTG for $150 locally, and as you can see, I have to replace the grates, handles and chase down the damper kit.
I know, it would be much easier to just go buy an OTG (or even better, a WSM!) but I hate to throw anything away if it can be restored.

So, any ideas? Thanks!!!!!

Why do you need the older ash sweep? The new version is a direct fit for this bowl. Doubt you'll find the sweep at Home Depot, but Ace Hardware is a good candidate.

If you're set on blocking the holes and drilling in your own damper kit, the foil tape (heating & air conditioning aisle) is about as cheap & easy as you're gunna get.

Three pieces of light gauge metal flat stock ( maybe an 1 1/2 " or wider ) either aluminum or raw steel and a small handful of self drilling self taping metal screws should do the job for a quick and easy plug.

Tim

the kits are just not that expensive and so easy to install. the other options are just more work. plus it will allow you to use it as a regular grill if needed.
suggest not overthinking things. don't worry, I'm guilty of that also.

I foil tape my kettle all the time to get better control of my temps. Taping off 2 slots and leaving a pinky finger size opening on the 3rd slot gives me 230-250 with no adjustments.

A cheap aluminium pan turned upside down might do the trick and cover up all three holes in one go. Or maybe an old lid.

the kits are just not that expensive and so easy to install. the other options are just more work. plus it will allow you to use it as a regular grill if needed.
suggest not overthinking things. don't worry, I'm guilty of that also.

Thanks!

I already have a 22" OTG (I bought new) with the Cajun Bandit extender. The air control is not that good, air gets around the cleaning vanes. So I have problems with long-running smokes as the rig tries to run hot. I have an 18" WSM, and I want to experiment with this thrown-away grill to solve the air flow issues. Once they're solved, the 22" will be a smoker and I can use my store-bought OTG as a grill, too.

Of course it would be easier to just go buy a 22" WSM but my inner MacGyver is calling out... (my wife calls it my inner Wyle E. Coyote.)

... (my wife calls it my inner Wyle E. Coyote.)
Anvils are always the answer.;)

I would consider cutting two pieces of flat stock for each slot slightly larger than the slot, put one on the outside and one on the inside and bolt them together so that the bowl is sandwiched between them. This would block them off without any cutting or drilling to the original bowl.

But I would definitely price up all the parts needed to make it original before making a decision.

Last edited:
I used foil tape on all three then installed the WSM vent dampers in my OTS with Cajun Bandit conversion. Works just like WSM now.

I purchsaed it off Amazon. It is a 3M brand. Just called high temperature foil tape. $8.33 for 15 foot roll. If you have an automatic temperature controller, it is the same as that tape, except it is on a roll. Have never been able to find it at Home Depot or Lowes.

Last edited:
Since you are planning to go the Cajun Bandit route and make it a comp cooker (excellent choice I might add!) here is something that you might consider- find a suitable tray for an ash pan under the grate. I used a pan from an old Weber/Sears Economy kettle.

IMG_5761.jpg

I realize that this is going to be pretty hard to come up with for most folks, but with the One-Touch vents it was very good at regulating the intake. I've seen deep dish pizza pans that would work as well.

I eventually mounted a BBQ Guru WSM adapter and cover the intake vents with 3M High Temperature Flue Tape #2113NA 1.5" x 15' for @ $9 and you are good to go!

IMG_0402.jpg

You know, costs on this sucker are starting to add up... one-touch cleaning kit, dampers, handles, and still no ash collection. Not to mention needing to buy a unibit (although any excuse to go to Home Despot is a good one...) I tried to cut out the rusted-in mounting post for the original sweep kit, but no luck...

Maybe I should just go buy a new 22.5 OTG and mount some dampers on it.

Well you did ask, and if you want different ideas you'll certainly get them from this forum.:)

Tim

What's the trouble with cutting out the existing ash sweeper? Do you have a Dremel or a 4" hand grinder? With those tools, it's about 60 seconds. Wouldn't be as quick or easy with a sawzall, but maybe 2 minutes worth? Just gotta cut both sides of the sweeper handle and it'll fall through.

Regarding adding the sweepers and dampers - I think you're trying to reinvent the wheel. The one-touch works just fine for air control. I could have a fully engulfed ring of charcoal and close the vents (top & bottom) and by the time we're done with dinner, it's cool enough to put the cover back on. Try it and you might be surprised. Or... Just keep patient (haha) for a 3 wheeler to pop up on craigslist.

Actually Chad, I have another OTG that I use today with my CB extender, but I can't keep the air temps down below 325, even with the one-touch sweeper fully closed. Maybe one of the vanes is warped (dunno?) So I was planning to use this toss-away grill to experiment on before messing up my "good" OTG.

Timothy, I tried to cut out the existing ash sweeper this morning, but it's defeating my Dremel. I really don't have the right cutter blades for cutting steel, even rusted.

Maybe it's time to step back and examine what I'm trying to do... I have the following grills and smokers:
  • Weber 14" Smokey Joe
  • Weber 18" Jumbo Joe (Got it for free)
  • Weber 18" WSM (birthday/Christmas present, haven't used it yet)
  • Weber 22" OTG with Cajun Bandit extender ring
  • Smoke Hollow No. 6 propane smoker (will hold 8 slabs of ribs laying flat)
  • CharBroil propane grill (piece of crap)
Up until I got the WSM, I used my OTG-CB rig for smoking. But if I tried to use a regular Minion method pile of charcoal, my temps flew too high, even with the one-touch fully closed. Kingsford Blue briquets. I'm able to get it down low-n-slow (250) using a Minion snake, but my burn times are limited to about 6 hours. After 6 hours, anything I'm smoking has to be finished in the regular oven or the Smoke Hollow gasser.

Granted, I have the 18" WSM (still unused!) but I prefer to smoke ribs laying flat. And in general I want to move all my smoking off the gasser. I like the Smoke Hollow smoker okay, but I'd rather have one family of grill products to work on. Hey, someday I may even enter a BBQ contest :cool: And the 22" platform gives me plenty of room to work on.

So when I "rescued" this abandoned 22 OTS, I decided to use it as a guinea pig for mods to make on my "good" OTG. But now I'm starting to wonder if I've opened a can of worms instead.

In case anybody is interested, here's a link to my recent birthday smoking event... the "rescued" OTS is sitting on the left, and the OTG I've been using is on the right. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/152854/50th-birthday-party-q-with-q-view

Back