Original Kettle lower vent adjustments

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
Does anyone have a way to mark the positions of the lower vent so I can make adjustments without taking the lid off or getting underneath the grill to see how far the vent is open? I see how people mark the positions on the "One Touch" system, but I don't have that.

Same here with a "Sharpie" with only one(1) Mark 1/2 open. However, no idea how you would mark on those old Weber Kettles that do not have the One-Touch System.

Last edited:
Charles do you have an old three wheeler ( Daisy wheels) or a OTS ( One touch silver) ?

I guess I made a mistake describing my grill as NOT having the One Touch system. I thought the One Touch was the one that is so easy to mark with a Sharpie. I'll try the stick method, though I'm not sure I'd like it.
What about Duct Tape marked with a Sharpie? I'd have to give it some thought, but I can see it working unless the high heat causes a problem.
How in the world does the normal owner make fine adjustments without lifting the lid?

What about a few small strips of stainless steel duct tape cut into "V shapes stuck on the bottom?

or add an ash catcher https://www.grillspot.com/weber-oem-ash-catcher-assembly-we65131
AWESOME!!! I can do that! and here's an article that maybe Chris should save somewhere for future reference.

Back