Ordered all parts - what else do I need?

Mike Wallace

TVWBB Member
I've ordered:
Case
Damper
Mouser project parts (except some that were backordered)
Digikey parts (+Mouser backordered parts)
Ambient thermistor
MG90S servo
RPi B
Wifi Dongle (one of the tested ones)
12v power wallwart

Already have:
Several ET-72 food probes & ET-73 pit probes
EMT fitting for attaching damper to intake plate
Sheet metal to cut for intake plate
Tons of varying length CAT5 & CAT6 cables
Soldering iron
Solder
Beer

Anything else I will need? Certain gauge of wire to finish some connections (jumping probe jacks over to CAT5 port to run probes over CAT5?)

Thanks! Looking forward to the build.

Oops yeah PCB from OSHPark is on order too.
I have solder wick
Not doing the thermocouple version, should I still have flux?

You seem pretty prepared to me. Other than the PCB:
-- SD Card
-- Needle nose pliers
-- Diagonal wire cutters

EDIT: I don't use extra flux even on the SMD parts. Most solder already has flux in it (usually labeled as rosin core).

Flux is not needed for thou hole. But it can't hurt.

Flux is recommended for surface mount because a common technique is to apply the solder to the soldering iron tip then transfer it to the surface mounted part. Causing the rosin to evaporate before being applied to the pad. The rosin or flux is what cleans the pad and part.

Edit: Sorry Bryan we were posting at the same time.

Last edited:
I too recommend using a Flux. I use Mg Chemicals, from Frys, that is somewhat sticky when applied. The stickiness helps with smd parts to keep them from moving around on you.. I just soldered up my 2nd thermocouple circuit last night and I did not even need any magnification, it was soo easy, compared to my first attempt.

I too recommend using a Flux. I use Mg Chemicals, from Frys, that is somewhat sticky when applied. The stickiness helps with smd parts to keep them from moving around on you.. I just soldered up my 2nd thermocouple circuit last night and I did not even need any magnification, it was soo easy, compared to my first attempt.

He's not doing any SMD soldering, cause he is going all thermistor....

You seem pretty prepared to me. Other than the PCB:
-- SD Card
-- Needle nose pliers
-- Diagonal wire cutters

EDIT: I don't use extra flux even on the SMD parts. Most solder already has flux in it (usually labeled as rosin core).

What size SD card is needed? I have a few different sizes.

128MB or more, basically any SD card created in the past 10 years. Not every one works with the Pi's controller though (and I'll say that probably none work perfectly in my experience) so if you have some on hand, I'm sure you can find one that works.

What size SD card is needed? I have a few different sizes.

I believe anything above 128 mb should work. You'll have more of a problem with the RPi not liking the card then anything. I have had 2 sd cards not work with the RPi but worked just fine in a camera or computer.

edit: Damn it Bryan :)

Haha! We are totally in sync today, Lesley. Not only do we post at the same time, but with the exact same responses. Get out of my head!

Back