Orange Marmalade Sriracha Wings

Originally posted by Hayden McCall:

Hayden, unfortunately for reasons beyond my control I had to close Wolfe Rub BBQ Seasonings the first part of the year. If you are interested in the rubs you can still get the recipes HERE![/QUOTE]

I scoured that entire thread and couldn't find it. I know I wear glasses, but I didn't think i was ENTIRELY blind. Lil help please? :)[/QUOTE]

HERE you go Hayden, this should work! Thanks

I just clicked on that link and it took me to Pay Pal. LOL

Hayden, go back to that thread where it says "Donate to Larry Wolfe" and read that whole first post in the thread, then you can see what you need to do.

Ok so...I went to the store yesterday and got everything I needed to make this wing sauce. Got home, whipped up the sauce, started a chimney of charcoal, cleaned the grates. Then something funny happened. I went to put the wings on the grill...and they weren't there! I was so excited to try this recipe, I forgot to get wings when I was at the butcher shop earlier in the day. LOL I can be such a stooge sometimes. LOL I ended up making hot italian sausage with onions, peppers, and red sauce on the skillet in the kitchen instead. LOL I'll try again today.

Speaking of being a dunce, I still can't find that friggin' rub recipe.

Ok so...I went to the store yesterday and got everything I needed to make this wing sauce. Got home, whipped up the sauce, started a chimney of charcoal, cleaned the grates. Then something funny happened. I went to put the wings on the grill...and they weren't there! I was so excited to try this recipe, I forgot to get wings when I was at the butcher shop earlier in the day. LOL I can be such a stooge sometimes. LOL I ended up making hot italian sausage with onions, peppers, and red sauce on the skillet in the kitchen instead. LOL I'll try again today.

Speaking of being a dunce, I still can't find that friggin' rub recipe.

Hayden, please see my post directly above your last one.

I clicked on the link. I wasn't able to make a substantial contribution, but all of the advice and expertise that Larry has shared with me has been worth it by itself. I can't wait to make these.

Gosh Larry! I am such a noob! I never saw this post. I wish you well my good friend. Just keep your cook pics coming! I have been so excited all week with the Siracha wings, my Son just wrote down the needed ingredients that we will be getting in the early morn. Tomorrow night is going to be a hit! Funny, the only thing I have on hand is the Siracha!
icon_smile.gif

So I found your paypal my friend. What's done is done. Wish I had much more but times are a bit tough today...

I made these this afternoon. I used two small pieces of hickory in lieu of the cherry...and I was a little light on the orange marmalade. That being said...goddam these were good. I will be making these again, and soon. I got 2 lbs. of wings at the butcher shop. Didn't realize that only yielded 20 wings. Plan on putting this on some larger sized chicken pieces as well, even boneless breasts.

Honestly, THE best sauce I've ever had on a chicken wing.

I made these a few days ago too. Everyone loved them. This is a keeper recipe.
But my kettle's ash sweeper was totally caked on and did not budge the next day from the all the sweet drippings. Next time I will lay some foil on the charcoal grate.

Originally posted by George L:
I made these a few days ago too. Everyone loved them. This is a keeper recipe.
But my kettle's ash sweeper was totally caked on and did not budge the next day from the all the sweet drippings. Next time I will lay some foil on the charcoal grate.

Yep! I had that same issue when I went to cook dinner last night!! Like charcoal candy!!!
icon_eek.gif

Larry! The wings recipe came out GREAT my friend! Thanks! I followed it all to a tee... The citrus rub was excellent but after my Son and I made the Siracha sauce, it was like a little piece of sweet/hot heaven man...

Thanks!

wings.jpg

Ok. So I made these a second time last night, and suffered what I consider to be a set back of sorts. The first time I made these, I had a 13 oz jar of marmalade instead of 18. The wings turned out nice and crispy. The skins browned/blackened beautifully. Last night was a bit strange. I used an 18 oz. jar of marmalade, cooked at the same temp, and the skins came out rubbery. They never blackened. They weren't nearly as good as the previous batch. In fact, I was so disenchanted, I threw half of 'em out.

Anyone have any idea where I could have gone wrong? I didn't have a chance to let the wings come to room temperature as I had previously, and I'm nearly certain that was the culprit. There simply wasn't enough variation anywhere else for this to have happened.

Ok. So I made these a second time last night, and suffered what I consider to be a set back of sorts. The first time I made these, I had a 13 oz jar of marmalade instead of 18. The wings turned out nice and crispy. The skins browned/blackened beautifully. Last night was a bit strange. I used an 18 oz. jar of marmalade, cooked at the same temp, and the skins came out rubbery. They never blackened. They weren't nearly as good as the previous batch. In fact, I was so disenchanted, I threw half of 'em out.

Anyone have any idea where I could have gone wrong? I didn't have a chance to let the wings come to room temperature as I had previously, and I'm nearly certain that was the culprit. There simply wasn't enough variation anywhere else for this to have happened.

I agree! They steamed for a bit and you probably began the dipping process before the skin was crisp. Then when you started the dipping process, it made matters worse.

The skins should be crisp before you begin the dipping process!

Larry,
Those are some of the best looking wings that I have ever seen... I found Huy Fong's Sriracha sauce on Amazon... I ordered a 17oz bottle for $9.89... I can't wait buddy... the combination of the orange and heat should be incredible.... Excellent post Larry. Thank you

Originally posted by Ralph Grunz:
I found Huy Fong's Sriracha sauce on Amazon... I ordered a 17oz bottle for $9.89..

Next time try an Asian market.
I get my Sriracha from my local Asian market for something like $2.30 for a 32oz bottle. Local supermarkets are always more expensive.

George

I have everything in the house , except for the marmalade, what's a good substitute ? (plus, I have never been a big marmalade fan).

Thank you.

Originally posted by Stuart Osterweil:
I have everything in the house , except for the marmalade, what's a good substitute ? (plus, I have never been a big marmalade fan).

Thank you.

Substitute with your favorite jelly or jam!

Back