Ontario Canada - Pork shoulder sale

Scooter B

TVWBB Pro
To my fellow Ontarians... tis the season to fill your freezer!! haha

For any American reading this who can regularly buy pork shoulder for $1/lb or less, please don't laugh!!

The Loblaws chain has fresh pork leg or shoulder for $0.89/lb. My local store also sells the shoulders split for just slightly more. It seems that we get this once a year and it beats paying the almost $3/lb we typically have to pay for our shoulders. Now if only we could ever get a brisket sale. The butcher I was at this morning is charging $5.99/lb for brisket!!!

Scooter, I can order for you brisket at a cheaper price than that. Email if you want some from me. pinetree at porchlight dot ca
3.59lb fat on, 5.00 trimmed( as long as my supplier hasnt changed his price since the summer)
Dave

Michael - We're talking two different items. The sale I was refering to is pork shoulder at the Lawblaws chain (this includes the Superstores and various affliates). Dave is talking about brisket though... and that's a heck of a good price.

Dave - I'll definately have to get a hold of you on that one. Between your charcoal hook ups and now brisket.... I'm starting to think you're some sort of BBQ Guru in the area!! haha

Scooter, I checked my local Zehrs flyer, and they wanted $1.49/lb for both the butt and the picnic. Must be the bigger city stores that are for .89/lb

Thanks very much! Went down to Lob's today and got a 20 lb shoulder for $17.50. Had them cut it in half to make it easier to handle. Unfortunately, I'm traveling this weekend so I have to freeze it, but I'm gonna smoke it soon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I usually pay $2.99 per pound in Greektown in TO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Michael...that's a steep price for butt. Not too far from there, in the Asian stores you can get it for $1.50/lb pretty regularly. Charlie's Meats north of Gerrard on Broadview. If you're worried about Chinatown, then go to T&T on Cherry St. They usually have good prices on shoulder.

You can also get brisket at T&T for I think $3-$4/lb, which is good for Canada. Cryo-pak. They have it in the display case, but it's been cut up. Find one of the butchers who can speak good english and they can get a whoel brisket in the back.

I have only seen shoulder butt in cryo on sale for $0.99/lb once out here, but regularly see split picnics with the hock off for that price. So I usually use the picnics.

I went to my local Loblaws to take advantage of this sale, but they were out. Metro also has whole legs at.99/lb. Good week for pork.

Went back to my local Loblaws, spoke with someone from the meat dept. They have not received any shoulder or leg, said I would have to check with the larger stores. I WILL have a shoulder or two for the weekend!

Cris, you're in Ottawa. If you haven't been yet, you should check this place out:
T&T Supermarket
(Central Pkwy W & Mavis Rd.)
715 Central Parkway West,
Mississauga, Ontario
L5B 4L1

It's an Asian grocery store. Very clean and good prices on meats (though steaks aren't aged, so don't taste like much). The prices on pork shoulder are usually pretty good AND, they've always got the stuff.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by G Dechaine:
Cris, you're in Ottawa. If you haven't been yet, you should check this place out:
T&T Supermarket
(Central Pkwy W & Mavis Rd.)
715 Central Parkway West,
Mississauga, Ontario
L5B 4L1

The T&T Supermarket just opened up in Ottawa, it is a zoo. I went once, hope the crowds taper off, cuz it wasn't an enjoyable experience, but I did see things that interest me. One of the only places I've seen brisket for sale, as an example. Also an amazing selection of seafood. Also a lot of stuff I need to educate myself about.

It's an Asian grocery store. Very clean and good prices on meats (though steaks aren't aged, so don't taste like much). The prices on pork shoulder are usually pretty good AND, they've always got the stuff. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scooter B:
To my fellow Ontarians... tis the season to fill your freezer!! haha

For any American reading this who can regularly buy pork shoulder for $1/lb or less, please don't laugh!!

The Loblaws chain has fresh pork leg or shoulder for $0.89/lb. My local store also sells the shoulders split for just slightly more. It seems that we get this once a year and it beats paying the almost $3/lb we typically have to pay for our shoulders. Now if only we could ever get a brisket sale. The butcher I was at this morning is charging $5.99/lb for brisket!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the tip scooter, but I no longer buy my meat from large supermarket chains due to the quality of the meat. I tend to stay away from meat on sale. Its on sale for a reason.

So I go to a larger Loblaws for this pork sale. They have none. They tell me to get a rain check, light bulb goes off in my head. Get a raincheck, limit is 2 shoulders, even though there is no restriction on the flyer.

Go back to my regular store for a rain check, they says maximum is 6 lbs! When I ask how they can sell a whole pork shoulder(15-20 lb) and offer a rain check for oly 6 lbs of it, I get strange looks. Two managers later, I get a rain check for 1 pork shoulder.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by simon j:
Thanks for the tip scooter, but I no longer buy my meat from large supermarket chains due to the quality of the meat. I tend to stay away from meat on sale. Its on sale for a reason. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I typically buy my meat from a local butcher, this is the one time of year I know my local large chain is carrying non-enhanced pork and it's 30% the usual price. Saying its' on sale "for a reason" is very VERY misguided. You are making an inference about it's qualiy without any evidence. When they have sales on cheese or butter do you not buy that because it's on sale??

That fact is, its on sale because this is the time of year people make sausage... that's the reason. They make a one time bulk order and they pass on the savings.

Perhaps the availablity really depends on your city and the "ethnicity". Guelph has a large italian heritage that traditionally makes their own sausage, and therefore the stores are more inclined to stock in volume.

Back